News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Austin Gipsy

Started by ChrisJC, Dec 21, 2023, 08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJC

All,
 A friend has been charged with disposing of an Austin Gypsy that is in 'kit form'. Clearly it was in a bad state, has been stripped down, quite a bit of work one but not reassembled. The owner then died, and the storage has to be cleared.

It seems to have all the running gear, and only really be short of some bits of bodywork.

I can't help think it would be a pity to just scrap it, but I don't know what else to advise?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris.

Alan Drover

Try the Austin Gypsy Owners' Club.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

ChrisJC

Quote from: Alan Drover on Dec 21, 2023, 08:40 PMTry the Austin Gypsy Owners' Club.
My friend tried them, but it's a Facebook group, so no feedback! I might e-mail the chap who runs the website.

Chris.

diffwhine

Might be worth contacting 07BE16 of this manor. He has quite a lot to do with them, so may be best placed to advise.

He's actually more insane than the rest of us in that he has a Gypsy and a 2A...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

O7BE16

Sorry to disappoint but contrary to Diffwhine's assertions I have an Austin Champ and not a Gypsy so unfortunately cannot help.

autorover1

I remember driving a Gypsy from work as an apprentice at Longbridge and managed to get the speedo off the end of the dial downhill on the newly opened Rubery bypass, borrowed from the Austin Gas Turbine research department. Good old days  when the national speed limit sign meant derestricted

dartymoor

As a young man working in Forestry, my work vehicle was once a LWB Petrol Gypsy with massive tyres.

Absolutely horrible to drive (especially steering which was both unsurprisingly heavy and also with a good half turn of play) but was very, very good off road if there weren't too many corners. It leaked even worse than Land Rovers too, and their corrosion is legendary.

Definitely too good to scrap - ebay will provide an outlet that will get more than scrap price, even if it just means it'll sit in someone else's shed for a few years more.

diffwhine

Quote from: O7BE16 on Dec 21, 2023, 11:15 PMSorry to disappoint but contrary to Diffwhine's assertions I have an Austin Champ and not a Gypsy so unfortunately cannot help.

D'oh! Sorry! I got mixed up!

I know somebody has a few of these. Just got to remember who!

Where is this located?

ChrisJC

I believe it to be near Peterborough.

Chris.

diffwhine

A quick Google came up with two options for contacting the owner's club
https://www.carandclassic.com/clubs/austin-gipsy-register
https://austingipsy.net/

It appears as though we've all been spelling Gipsy wrong... Both links ultimately take you to the same site, but useful contact details on the car and classic site.

It would be a shame to scrap it. Somebody out there will want it.

ChrisJC

I've been in touch with Glenn Kemp - who is in Canada! I asked for a local (UK) person who might be able to help.

Chris.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Not long ago I tried to give away 2 x ex-LR or 'Auntie Rover' 6-cylinder lumps. Free to collect, yes free. No strings, no money involved, I considered it my duty to get the things back in the hands of those with use for such.

One of you weeps to hear this, yet it proved impossible. Sad I know, it was a real struggle. In the finish went to scrap.

Smokey 11a

If there's no takers, I'd be putting it on EBay at the very least someone will take it away for you for a few £££'s.

Old Hywel

Quote from: Smokey 11a on Dec 22, 2023, 02:52 PM.........for a few £££'s.
Quite a few £££s, I'd say. There's that highly desirable 2.2 diesel to start with. :cool

TJRL

Classic Cars auction site or the like??