Engine: With one rollerskate - only one mind - what am I looking at?

Started by ChiefBeard, Jul 17, 2023, 06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBeard

What with Diesel lumps going for weigh-in prices, I marvel at petrol lump prices. What used to be had for £90 runs to £1500.

Window-shopping as you do, I see this.. Starter motor is not where I'd expect, and we only get one piccy. What is it?

eBay item: 314707859507

Rollerskate

biloxi

Birdsnest55

1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

diffwhine

It would probably break for good money. As Biloxi states - an overdrive alone is worth something I suppose although the whole thing looks a bit on the tired and unloved side.

Looks like a bit of a Heath Robinson conversion.

I'd be interested to see what the power unit is.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

It is a boat anchor attached to a land rover gearbox.

Looks like it has been stored outside so the weather might have got in

Peter

biloxi

Never dismiss something as rubbish until you've inspected it thoroughly!
.W.

diffwhine

Agreed...
I've just rebuilt a series 1 freewheel gearbox from a  rusty pile of bits. That came from your neck of the woods I think as a rejected Land Rover Classic vehicle.

It does at least appear to be under cover.

Trouble is that its in Birkenhead... Don't us southerners need a visa to go there?  ;)

Peter Holden

I am sure we have agents in that area

I wasnt rejecting it out of hand just urging caution.  I dont recognise the engine but I certainly havent seen a Perkins like that

Peter

Craig T

The rounded shape to that cylinder head casting kind of reminds me of a Daihatsu Diesel engine?

Always amazes me when people remove things like this and just dump them outside without so much as chucking a sheet over it.
Is a series III gearbox. The overdrive may survive but chances are water has got in past the breather hole so suspect it would be a mess inside.

Craig.

diffwhine

I think you may be right Craig. I had an early Daihatsu Turbo Diesel which looked vaguely like that in one of my past vehicles. I remember that the cylinder heads were prone to cracking if the cooling system wasn't right.

Lovely engine though - a bit like the 2.8 Isuzu - they made lovely LR conversions.

Slightly OT, but I have a late Daihatsu Fourtrack 2.8 diesel turbocharged and intercooled engine here at the moment. I probably won't get round to do anything with it in the short term now, so if anybody needs a diesel engine for a 4 cylinder Land Rover and wants a cheap solution, let me know. Its complete with adapter to go up against a Land Rover 4 cylinder gearbox as well as the Daihatsu radiator and intercooler. Its also dry and under cover!

ChiefBeard

Blimey, Nine posts in and it's not nailed-down? I just like to know this sort of thing. I had the collective-wisdom would see this as a  "It's a blah you fool" in minutes.

Didn't realise I'd found such an unusual animal. One piccy doesn't help.

Birkenhead though, ah....

Genocache

That skate is likely from the 70 to 90's. When did they last make steel skates? It has a strap for the toes, earlier ones had the keyed grippers and we would split the skate and nail it to a 2x4 for the first skateboards. Though this one had plastic wheels not the steel ones of the 50-60's. Might be worth more than the engine....

Serious Series

I asked the seller what the engine was his reply was all he knows its a series 3.
Not a daihatsui as the rocker cover is too rounded.

ChiefBeard

Quote from: Genocache on Jul 17, 2023, 06:02 PMThat skate is likely from the 70 to 90's. When did they last make steel skates? ....

Skates like those buckle-up type were about with Melanie Safka. By the late 70s/early 80s Disco era, boots came as one with the wheels in-line, not those. Those have to be 50 years old. 45 at least. Doesn't mean they've been there that long, but this doesn't bode well for those with an eye on the overdrive.