News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Anyone used these tyres

Started by Bigdog, Jan 23, 2024, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Has anyone used these type of tyres, good , bad etc, looking for a general good all round tyre

Birdsnest55

I have had a few ex army Land Rovers with this tread pattern, not sure if these are the original maker or copies.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

simonbav

" a general good all round tyre "  :neener

yup. Looks like a good all round tyre to me.  :))
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Uffddd

Had that pattern even if not that brand. They're very loud above 35mph.

2DieselMan

Many years ago I ran my 2 1/4 Litre Diesel 109 LWB Station Wagon with Overdrive with DeeStones with that Tread pattern.
With Engine noise I didn't notice the tyre noise.

Alan Drover

I looked up bias ply tyres and they're predominantly for use off road. They're noisier and less fuel efficient on road, don't last as long as radials, have a lower speed rating and they're tubed.
Unless you drive predominantly off road I'd give them a miss. They're ominously cheap and I'd want to know where they're manufactured.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Landyowner11

I've used them on a few series, like others say they are noisy but not unbearable IMHO.

They are not brilliant in the wet on tarmac but will do great off road.

For a low millage "Sunday driver/local use" they will be fine and you can't beat the price.

My personal choice of tyre now is a 7.50 Michelin xzl

diffwhine

Security Tyres are Chinese. Fine for occasional use and look the part. Not so great if you do a lot of road use.

Might be cheaper from Paddock with the club discount.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Richard

I had them, exactly the same tread pattern. In my case they were called Deestone. They were on my Series when I bought it. They look the part, yes, but for road use they are absolutely awful, dangerous even, especially in the wet. Braking on a wet road is a breathtaking adventure. Prone to flat spotting. After I had replaced them with Avon Rangemasters I could hear leaves gently rustle, a brook's water softly ripple, birds sing :cool

Richard
'64 S2a

Phil2014

I've got them on my 88, I love them, used them since 2016, replaced at least once, done many many miles, motorways, all over the country to rallies, off road, don't remember ever getting stuck. No bother at all, but then I drive it sensibly as it's no sports car. I'll be replacing them like for like when they wear out.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Uffddd

I forgot about the wet performance. Definitely a test of faith when coming face to face with another car down a country lane.

I replaced them with 235 Toyo open country m/t's. Same sort of price as those are. I think I got all 5 for around £600. Much improved handling and much quieter whilst still looking mean and chunky enough for the aesthetic.

biloxi

I've found that the knobbier the tyres, the less road contact, the more useless, if not dangerous
on sealed roads, unless made of very soft compound, in which case tyre life will be drastically reduced.
.W.

Gareth

They remind me of the old General SAG tyres my 109 used to wear. Good in mud. Not so good on tarmac. Very noisy and not a lot of grip in the wet. They do make the traditional Land Rover 'howl' if that's what you're after 😎

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Fair enough, yet caution seeking tyre recommendations.

More so with respect to date. The tyre trade rarely mention manufacture date to the public. The public never ask, and concentrate on price/ thread depth. Tyre recommendations may herald a new tyre as 'brilliant' -this is rarely  objective comparson - it ignores age of the previous tyre before. We would hope a new tyre is better.

Date is on the tyre.

Suspect the same rule applies to these as any cheap tyre. Cheap tyres go hard quicker, hence the date on the tyre-wall matters all the more. Unlike a pricier brand, 2-3, let be 4-5 years from now, they're not going to grip so well. Even when our laws allow this, tyres shouldn't be more than 5 years old. Classic/ occasional use only. Especailly if cheap in the first.

Be minded, if they're old stock, date matters a lot.. The Germans, and I think the French fail tyres at four years ish, and make them fit 'winters' too, that'd be why 'new-old-Euro stock' gets sent here.

If cheap, date might be why.

Phil2014

As above, anyone saying these are dangerous have either been using very old tyres or driving too fast for the road conditions. Mine were fitted new and replaced with new, they do seem pretty soft rubber, never even came close to locking a wheel under hard braking in 10's of thousands of miles on them. As for noise, it's never bothered me, I've got Toyo open country on my 109, can't say there's much difference in noise.
Phil.
Borders area rep.