News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Anyone used these tyres

Started by Bigdog, Jan 23, 2024, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I had to look it up in the Archives, for a thread on Deestone tyres, but the date code on mine said 2003. The thread was in 2019. So old and gone hard may have added to the problem.
Richard
'64 S2a

Uffddd

Quote from: Phil2014 on Jan 24, 2024, 09:06 AMAs above, anyone saying these are dangerous have either been using very old tyres or driving too fast for the road conditions. Mine were fitted new and replaced with new, they do seem pretty soft rubber, never even came close to locking a wheel under hard braking in 10's of thousands of miles on them. As for noise, it's never bothered me, I've got Toyo open country on my 109, can't say there's much difference in noise.
Phil.
Old tyres were certainly part of the issue.

Surprised you reckon on no noise difference with Toyo's. For me the old tyres sounded like a swarm of angry bees while the new Toyo's can't really be heard over the engine.

Phil2014

Surprised you reckon on no noise difference with Toyo's. For me the old tyres sounded like a swarm of angry bees while the new Toyo's can't really be heard over the engine.
[/quote]
I wouldn't say there's no difference in noise, the Security's are louder, but to me, not enough to bother me, I'll be sticking with the Security's for as long as you can still get them.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

When you could get them Michelin XZY were the quietest. They were £420 each, that's right... each. Best LR ever. Overland grade, you could never wear them out either. I bought the last of them, but by then they were old stock.

They had to go in the finish, because they got so hard, they wouldn't grip. Run Michelin XZL now. That's all you can get. Quieter, and half the price, but not quiet like XZY.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

I have security's on mine - had them since I got the car 5/6 years ago? Probably 2/3 years with the po before that.

I can't hear them above engine/wind noise. I have had one wet-weather wiggle on them but I've not reached their limit at any other point.

They do look the part (in my opinion) but I'll probably replace them with something else 'soon' - which reminds me...

When does something like this pattern reach the legal wear limit? Some areas on mine are getting a little thin but most of the tread is super deep...

Richard

According to the RAC the legal limit in the UK and the EU is 1.6 mm "across the central three-quarters of the tyre", but less than 3 is considered dangerous. The law does distinguish between types of vehicle, according to the AA, but for cars < 3,500 kg, the legal limit is 1.6 mm.

Richard
'64 S2a

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Thanks - I'm well above that but unlike most conventional car tyres, the central area is obviously more block than channel on these moulds.

I've also just noticed (belatedly - I guess it was covered here ages ago) that Avon tyres appear to have closed? I was considering Rangemasters as my next tyre, but no more I guess.

Richard

Avon still has them on their website, but in the real world they are nowhere to be found. Not even by Google :cool  New anyway. In 2019 I bought them at Craddock's and had to wait four months before they finally materialized. I have to add I wanted DA's, with defective appearance, but that wasn't the only reason they were late. "No longer available" it now says on their website. One pre-owned (and severely cracked) on eBay...

Richard
'64 S2a

Richard

I've asked Avon if they still produce the Rangemaster, or are planning to do so. I'll keep you posted...
Richard
'64 S2a

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Thanks.

I inspected my Security's this morning.

Firstly, the date stamp is for the end of June 2011.

Secondly, the tread depth in the centre area is getting to the point (5mm?) where I would be seriously considering replacing tintop tyres - so I think (on both counts) it's time I ordered new rubber and get the wheels blasted and painted (actually,if I stick with Security's or another cross ply - I might keep two wheels/tyres as-is for my Sankey trailer...)

Phil2014

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jan 26, 2024, 11:39 AMThanks.

I inspected my Security's this morning.

Firstly, the date stamp is for the end of June 2011.

Secondly, the tread depth in the centre area is getting to the point (5mm?) where I would be seriously considering replacing tintop tyres - so I think (on both counts) it's time I ordered new rubber and get the wheels blasted and painted (actually,if I stick with Security's or another cross ply - I might keep two wheels/tyres as-is for my Sankey trailer...)
Each to their own, but at 5mm your not even half worn, new tyres are approx 7/8mm, in my previous job, vehicle technician at a main Volvo dealer, customer would be notified 5mm would be approx half worn, advise replacing at 3mm, but still some life left.
Phil. 
Borders area rep.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Richard on Jan 26, 2024, 10:40 AMI've asked Avon if they still produce the Rangemaster, or are planning to do so. I'll keep you posted...
Richard
I emailed them about it ages ago and am still awaiting a reply!!!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Richard

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jan 26, 2024, 04:29 PM
Quote from: Richard on Jan 26, 2024, 10:40 AMI've asked Avon if they still produce the Rangemaster, or are planning to do so. I'll keep you posted...
Richard
I emailed them about it ages ago and am still awaiting a reply!!!
Hm, that doesn't bode well. A few working days, they said. When there's no reply, I'll retry but ask for a quote on 36 of their Cobra Chromes for my motoGP racing team. See if that gets 'em to answer 😎

Valentino
'64 S2a

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

I've taken the decision to go with tubeless rims and xzls - partly as it's getting to be a real pain to find anyone who'll touch tubed tyres.

If anyone else is thinking about xzls, ATS Euromaster have a deal on just now whereby you will receive a discount equivalent to the fitting/disposal charge - so the seemingly universal price just now of an eye watering £190 per corner drops to around £176.

Added bonus of a LEGO Technic Bugatti Bolide model (currently sells for around £40-45).

The price offer is available until Jan 31st *but* if you don't need them immediately (I need to get some rims painted) you can pay now and book well in advance (I've gone for early March).

The Lego model is a claim-back and you need to place your claim (presumably after fitting but I'll check) before the end of March.

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jan 27, 2024, 08:41 AMI've taken the decision to go with tubeless rims and xzls - partly as it's getting to be a real pain to find anyone who'll touch tubed tyres.

If anyone else is thinking about xzls, ATS Euromaster have a deal on just now whereby you will receive a discount equivalent to the fitting/disposal charge - so the seemingly universal price just now of an eye watering £190 per corner drops to around £176.

Added bonus of a LEGO Technic Bugatti Bolide model (currently sells for around £40-45).

The price offer is available until Jan 31st *but* if you don't need them immediately (I need to get some rims painted) you can pay now and book well in advance (I've gone for early March).

The Lego model is a claim-back and you need to place your claim (presumably after fitting but I'll check) before the end of March.

A sensible decision IMHO. I am certain that you will notice a dramatic improvement in road manners and cornering ability. Brand new quality radial tyres are the single biggest improvement, pound for pound, that anyone can make to a Series Land-Rover.

Crossplies have their place. Modern roads are not that place.

At the risk of upsetting some; anyone who maintains that radial tyres offer no significant benefit over crossplies, particularly cheap Chinese ones, is a liability to themselves and everyone around them.