It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Anyone used these tyres

Started by Bigdog, Jan 23, 2024, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

I am thinking of using Deestone D503 tubed tyres, any thoughts anyone, thanks

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Bigdog on Jan 27, 2024, 09:00 AMI am thinking of using Deestone D503 tubed tyres, any thoughts anyone, thanks

Same as my opinion on the Security ones. They're a cheap copy of the old Firestone "Town and Country". They will be noisy, poor in the wet, and lethal in icy weather. They would suit a lightly used museum piece where appearances are more important than function, or something used exclusively in extremely arduous conditions. I would never consider fitting them, personally.

Phil2014

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Jan 27, 2024, 09:00 AM
Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jan 27, 2024, 08:41 AMI've taken the decision to go with tubeless rims and xzls - partly as it's getting to be a real pain to find anyone who'll touch tubed tyres.

If anyone else is thinking about xzls, ATS Euromaster have a deal on just now whereby you will receive a discount equivalent to the fitting/disposal charge - so the seemingly universal price just now of an eye watering £190 per corner drops to around £176.

Added bonus of a LEGO Technic Bugatti Bolide model (currently sells for around £40-45).

The price offer is available until Jan 31st *but* if you don't need them immediately (I need to get some rims painted) you can pay now and book well in advance (I've gone for early March).

The Lego model is a claim-back and you need to place your claim (presumably after fitting but I'll check) before the end of March.

A sensible decision IMHO. I am certain that you will notice a dramatic improvement in road manners and cornering ability. Brand new quality radial tyres are the single biggest improvement, pound for pound, that anyone can make to a Series Land-Rover.

Crossplies have their place. Modern roads are not that place.

At the risk of upsetting some; anyone who maintains that radial tyres offer no significant benefit over crossplies, particularly cheap Chinese ones, is a liability to themselves and everyone around them.
I don't think anyone said a modern radial isn't an improvement, I'm going off my experience, at Series Land Rover speeds, these tyres are perfectly fine.
Borders area rep.

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Phil2014 on Jan 27, 2024, 09:11 AMI don't think anyone said a modern radial isn't an improvement, I'm going off my experience, at Series Land Rover speeds, these tyres are perfectly fine.

We are not going to agree. Not unless that speed is "stationary".

Alan Drover

I agree too. I changed to tubeless early this century when I bought a set of Wolf wheels to replace a set of mismatched lwb rims. Tube fitters were more common then but the only place near me now I reckon is Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu. There's still a lot of wire wheeled sports cars about and I suspect they're finding the average tyre depot yoof has never seen a tube.
I reckon even  the rivet counters will have to admit defeat with tubed tyres soon.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

There must be some tubes tyres that's suitable, I have hade my existing rims sand blasted and painted that's why I don't want to change them

Phil2014

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Jan 27, 2024, 09:42 AM
Quote from: Phil2014 on Jan 27, 2024, 09:11 AMI don't think anyone said a modern radial isn't an improvement, I'm going off my experience, at Series Land Rover speeds, these tyres are perfectly fine.

We are not going to agree. Not unless that speed is "stationary".
We most certainly are not, I think if people want everything up to modern standards, what's the point of having a 60 odd year old Land Rover with no crash protection for occupants or pedestrians, no safety equipment airbags etc, steering and brakes aren't up to modern standards, I could go on, but I'm too busy looking at the sides of the road which are littered with series land rovers which have no grip and skidded off the road.
Borders area rep.

Phil2014

To be honest, I'm surprised any old vehicles exist, surely they must all have crashed on their first trip out of the showroom due to poor tyres?
Borders area rep.

biloxi

To all the people that use tubeless off road tyres on tubeless rims.
How do you re-seat them after you've repaired them?  And please don't tell me what you would do, just tell me how you've done it.
.W.

Alan Drover

I remember when I had new G90's fitted to the Wolf rims the tyre fitter took a while to get the tyres to seat properly on the rims.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Well I think I will just try the Deestone ones, I would only be using it on occasional use, I live in the country so no motorway miles, it's just that some say they are fine and others have different opinions, thanks

diffwhine

I think a lot comes down to anticipated usage. For occasional use and pottering about, these old cross ply type tyres are fine. Avon TMs and their Dunlop equivalents weren't exactly brilliant in their day either, but we (I) like them, because they are part of the character of the vehicle. Were I using a Series as a daily driver (something I swore I would never do again after driving one through Africa...), I would fit a more modern tyre configuration. What people forget is that its not necessarily your vehicle which is the issue. Its the expectation of other drivers, that you can stop like they can with modern driving aids. Also average road speeds are significantly greater than in the 1960s and vehicle volumes are also so much greater now, that the risk is also that much greater.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

William

The MOD used cross-ply Goodyear Hi Miler Extra Grip on their land rovers for many years. These had the same tread pattern as the deestone/ security tyres.
I used them for years on my 109 with no issues. The whine on the road was noticeable - but I quite liked it - and they could be lively in the wet but I adapted my driving to suit. I only changed when I started trialing and started using SATs.

Bigdog

So if I am going down this route is it Deestone or the security ones, or could I risk putting tubes into tubeless tyres

William

Personally I'd go for tubeless on tubeless rims - the quality of tubes aren't what they were and I was getting too many flats. Last straw was a flat on the M4.
Ultimately it's down to your driving style, usage and depth of your pockets. You've had advice on tubes into tubeless tyres above. I wouldn't.