News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Anyone used these tyres

Started by Bigdog, Jan 23, 2024, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

It's just that I have just had my original wheels sand blasted and painted before I didn't realise how awkward it was to get tubed tyres

Phil2014

Tyre fitters experience with tubes might depend on where about in the country you are? I'm in a relatively rural area, the 2 tyre places I've used have no problem with tubes. As I've said above, done 10's of thousands of miles on security ml814's, motorways, A roads and everything down to green lanes, I've had one puncture since 2016. Maybe I've been lucky.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Wittsend

No, I think your've been unlucky.

It's hard to puncture a Land Rover tyre in normal use.

:RHD

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jan 27, 2024, 08:41 AMI've taken the decision to go with tubeless rims and xzls - partly as it's getting to be a real pain to find anyone who'll touch tubed tyres.

If anyone else is thinking about xzls, ATS Euromaster have a deal on just now whereby you will receive a discount equivalent to the fitting/disposal charge - so the seemingly universal price just now of an eye watering £190 per corner drops to around £176.

Added bonus of a LEGO Technic Bugatti Bolide model (currently sells for around £40-45).

The price offer is available until Jan 31st *but* if you don't need them immediately (I need to get some rims painted) you can pay now and book well in advance (I've gone for early March).

The Lego model is a claim-back and you need to place your claim (presumably after fitting but I'll check) before the end of March.

I just had mine fitted. Can't discuss how well they ride/handle/whatever as a) they're still in the back of the Volvo and b) it'll be a while before Turners return my cylinder head!

What I will say is that my local ATS Euromaster branch were fantastic. I had the tyres booked for March 5th as I didn't know how long it would take to get rims sourced and painted. Popped my head round today (as I collected the painted rims yesterday) and asked about rescheduling them to an earlier date.

Spookily, (I'd not given my name or any other reference - but I did mention that there were five of them) they said "are these Land Rover tyres and are you Myles...?"  :confused

My partner worked it out - it's extremely unusual these days to order five tyres in one go - and they'd been sitting there for a couple of weeks...

Anyway, they took heed of my angst about mounting on freshly painted rims (the painters said they'd baked them pretty well but no one was sure) and turned them around very quickly in a Friday afternoon with no obvious damage.

So +1 for ATS and (hopefully - but time will tell) +1 for Hendersons Metal Cleaning in Edinburgh for blasting and painting the new rims. Top-tip - order the black primer ones instead of (what I thought would be helpful) the white ones - the latter are powder coated and not a white primer as I originally thought...)

Dopey

Alan Drover

Quote from: Dopey on Feb 09, 2024, 08:47 PMCostco is cheap
Don't you have to pay a membership fee to be eligible?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Len

Landrover Len 210

That pattern of tread is known as 'sat's ,and was extensively used by our late queen's military throughout our empire.
If i recall correctly Firestone ,Bridgestone, Dunlop coms to mind were the makers .
Yes they are noisy on tarmac/concrete and cobbles strangely.
I have had very good use in winter conditions in most of europes roads, they work best when driven sympathetically to the road / tracks being driven
Early versions were called 't/c' Town & country'tyres.
I had a vw mini bus with them on and sporting studs as well ,on continental road trips.
All this info comes from my misspent  50 s 60s 70s 80s mil service.

Ok. Landrovers are like people ,they will take your tyres any where and with a smile, bye for now.

Old Hywel

I'm not sure what pattern Len is talking about, but there's only one SAT, by Firestone. Remoulds of that pattern were available at one time - Mud Pluggas, or similar.
SAT, image from internet.

Dopey

Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 09, 2024, 10:32 PM
Quote from: Dopey on Feb 09, 2024, 08:47 PMCostco is cheap
Don't you have to pay a membership fee to be eligible?

No ask someone to use their card, or when your in the q ask to use the card, no one has ever said not to me, I think they get like a bonus or something according to how much they spend, and they don't charge to fill up with nitrus

Craig T

The really noisy ones the military used to use were bar grips. Heard them all the time droning around Salisbury plain when we stayed there for a few days in the 1990's

Craig.