News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Handbrake shoes

Started by O7BE16, Jul 19, 2023, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O7BE16

I have been struggling to get my rebuilt handbrake set up. I have rebuilt the whole assembly with new a Girling Adjuster and actuator, I also went for the more expensive Delphi brake shoes STC3821G. The brake drum would only just fit and not rotate with the adjuster wound completely off.

As a crude check I fitted the shoes into the drum with one set of the ends touching and measured the gap at the other end. Delphi = 60mm, Oil soaked originals = 65mm. This was confirmed by fitting the originals - full adjustment ok drum free to rotate.

Next step was to exchange my 'expensive' shoes for the cheaper Britpart alternative. Crude measurement = 68mm.

End result no problem fitting brake drum full adjustment available

Motto = Don't assume more expensive is better and if you have got Delphi handbrake shoes you might have difficulty fitting the drum!

Peter Holden

Whilst I would always err on the side of caution with the wheel brakes, I dont see a problem with budget shoes on teh handbrake, after all it is only meant to stop the car from moving, not to slow it down or stop it and before anyone says it is an emergency brake have they tried using it as such?

Peter

diffwhine

I've been monitoring this pain from afar. Every part of the handbrake rebuild has given problems. It proves a staggering variation in parts quality / specification.

Word of warning - don't ever ever ever use a transmission brake as an emergency brake unless its applied very slowly and carefully and absolutely not allowed to lock the transmission completely. Quickest way to flip the vehicle and I've seen it happen.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

TimV

Oil soaked handbrake shoes (not service brakes) can be cleaned up and reused. I did it with mine about eight years ago, no problems.

Dormy

I was helping a fitter put relined brake shoes on a vehicle. The shoes came with thicker linings as no one had told the re-lining company the original spec. The fitter simply ground a few mm off the end of each shoe and put them in - this was on a 14 ton truck !
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."