News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Other than petrol

Started by Space-Kook, Apr 29, 2024, 12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley66

Quote from: DogDave on Apr 29, 2024, 07:47 AMGiven most of us won't use e10 fuel as 10% ethanol can damage the engine I'd guess that 100% ethanol is going to damage a few things.

If it was properly prepared with the runner lines all removed, any soft alloys swapped out etc you could make it work but in stock form I don't think it would be a great idea.

Soft alloys?

Wittsend

I don't know about the effects of ethanol on various types of ally or steel.
Ethanol is quite an aggressive solvent but I'm not aware it would "dissolve" metals, even at combustion temperatures.

They used to/still do use methanol in speedway and racing engines with no problems ???
Methanol is more aggressive than ethanol.

The big problem is the reaction of ethanol on rubber and other plastics.
On a 60 yr old barn find the fuel lines and carb innards with be grim anyway.

Replacing these with components bought today - checking they are suitable with today's fuels - you should have no problems.
By modern engine standards Land Rover engines have fairly low compression ratios and today's petrol octane values won't be that much better (or worse) than "pool petrol".
Land Rover engines are not high performance engines and running on a correctly maintained/adjusted engine shouldn't cause any issues - you can add additives of your choice but they aren't really needed.
However, not a bad idea to add a fuel preservative if the vehicle is not being used regularly.

:mad

Exile

I remember TVO.
Tractor Vapourising Oil.

And when they stopped supplying it, we had to make up our own mixture for the "petrol/paraffin" Fergie.

From memory I made it with central heating oil (kerosene) from the household tank, mixed with a little petrol. The tractor seemed to run OK, provided you got the engine hot (on petrol) first.

Sold it to Martin Lawrie, now of Fuggles Fettling fame, when he lived close to me. (Actually, I exchanged it for boxes of 2lt diesel parts!)

That Ferguson became a little neglected towards the end. As in photo.

Alan Drover

I still remember the distinctive odour of TVO in the Fordson Standards then the E27N's on the farm, formerly my paternal grandfather's but then managed by my uncle for the new owner
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

[/quote]

Soft alloys?
[/quote]

Sorry that's bad terminology on my part but I've definitely read it's more corrosive to things like brass and solder than to things like steel and cast - although I'm no scientist so not sure how much by.