News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tip up, side faceing, rear seats

Started by John, Jul 31, 2023, 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

These were fitted to Station Wagons, S1/11/11a/111 / early defenders,
the backs of these seats seem to have started production almost flat (east to west) but at some stage they became curved or perhaps more curved?
Any idea when this change in production was made?
As newer seats were often fitted to older Land Rover or perhaps the other way round the time of change seems hard to pin down
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

GHOBHW

no idea on the timeline of how they changed or when, but this image is of a brand new land rover on 11th november 1970.

you can just make out one of the backs in the image, if this helps any :RHD

diffwhine

Mine is a suffix B SW built February 1965. The seats are original and look very much like later ones in my view. There is a very definite curve in the backs. I've not noticed more flat ones.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

John

Thank you both
In the case of the 1970 type its hard to say
but in the 1965 type they do look almost flat
but without a staight edge hels against them it is perhaps down to the angle of the picture and the fabric :confused

I started this line of thought when trying some backs in the front of my 11a and perhaps the curve is better seen on the back of the seat back and I think the mounting brackets changed to allow for the curve but with so many mixed parts its hard to be sure

autorover1

I have a 1955 S1 Station wagon and the seat backs are certainly curved. I also have Genuine S2A seat back , purchased from Dunsfold as a spare,  and its shape is exactly the same, the only difference is that it has 1/4" UNF thread inserts rather than the 1/4" BSF ones in the S1 . They certainly look different if well used, which tends to flatten the padding, so may look flatter. The basic basic steel pressing for the back is exactly the same as the front seats on this vehicle . I remember looking at the rear seats on a Ninety SW Ihad as a Management vehicle and they were certainly the same curved shape but different ,softer padding. You cannot view this attachment.  I loaded the picture using the "Click or drag files here to attach them". function and it shows as full sized , not a thumbnail on my screen

autorover1

Found the 2A seat back from Dunsfold
Forgive the feet!
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

diffwhine

The feet are excused... I will reserve comment on the socks though!

Looks identical to what I've got fitted in mine.

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

John

After everyones hard work I've got my hands on what I think is a seat from a early S11 and a Early Defender and with them side by side and upside down I think you can see larger curves in the Defender seat but the cover seem to hide the true shape, I also notice the early seats are fixed with bolts into captive nuts but the Defender have captive studs, could this be a change as the same time as the curve ???
or is it just me over thinking this...

and I did crop the pictures to remove my feet