News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Argh! Martha’s Vineyard spotted…

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Sep 22, 2023, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Was on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard today and saw a grey (or, rather, gray!) Series tootle through town...

Sadly, too far away to identify and it disappeared before I had a chance to get close...

Larry S

There's actually an active Rover club on MV. They also host a rather large event every year.   SWMBO and I are invited every year, but it's a 1,695 mile trip one way.

https://thevineyardseries.com/
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Well...

Spotted this one on the outskirts of Provincetown - and another on the road later in the afternoon...

I rarely see this many in a month in Scotland!

GHOBHW

I'm sure I heard somewhere that it has one of the largest concentrations of land rovers outside of the UK

or was it nantucket....both next to each other anyway, I'm sure it counts!

Larry S

The northeastern part of the US (New England) and the part of Canada that borders it, is indeed one of the hotbeds of vintage Rovers in the US.

Most of them are found along the east coast and west coast as well as the gulf coast.  After that there are enclaves in areas around the major metro areas, except mine.

However - I am pleased to report that a long neglected '72/'73 SIII about 25 miles from me has been purchased and is on the road again.  I was hoping to meet the guy today, but it didn't happen.

Uffddd

Quote from: GHOBHW on Sep 23, 2023, 11:21 PMI'm sure I heard somewhere that it has one of the largest concentrations of land rovers outside of the UK

Nantucket is full of Jeep wranglers. Not sure I ever saw a Series there.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Can anyone explain why? Be fair, LRs are not common in the US, why there?

Beowulf

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 24, 2023, 12:20 PMCan anyone explain why? Be fair, LRs are not common in the US, why there?
Just a guess, but if you're talking about old LRs, could it be something to do with very strict emission limits  ???
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

GHOBHW

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 24, 2023, 12:20 PMCan anyone explain why? Be fair, LRs are not common in the US, why there?

from what I've seen, at least mostly, land rovers are seen as a rich persons item. and that area is very rich...
theres North America Overland selling rebuilt series for 100k+
obviously you can buy them a lot cheaper from a person, but still. check the website below, scroll down for what people have paid.

same for the defenders too, see the 2nd link, all 50k and above, some nearing 100k. one even selling for 135k!

https://bringatrailer.com/land-rover/series-88/
https://bringatrailer.com/land-rover/defender-90-nas/

just a different market and appeal over there.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Ah, not an area where -back when - LR sold more? Which was my first thought.

More today, those wealthy enough and finding them desirable enough. Look at it, buy one; be seen in one; park yours in the drive - it's part of the uniform.

GHOBHW

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 24, 2023, 01:30 PMAh, not an area where -back when - LR sold more? Which was my first thought.

More today, those wealthy enough and finding them desirable enough. Look at it, buy one; be seen in one; park yours in the drive - it's part of the uniform.

well it could be true that they were marketed/sold more in those areas as land rovers were always a upper class thing over there, if you look at any advertising land rover did in north america, it was targeted towards richer people, usually station wagons too.

makes sense, why buy a land rover for working on a farm when you have 5000 jeeps. so it was a different market for them.

malcolm

Some interesting colour/trim combinations on some of the sold listings on bring a trailer site

Larry S

Quote from: Uffddd on Sep 24, 2023, 10:29 AM
Quote from: GHOBHW on Sep 23, 2023, 11:21 PMI'm sure I heard somewhere that it has one of the largest concentrations of land rovers outside of the UK

Nantucket is full of Jeep wranglers. Not sure I ever saw a Series there.

I know of two or three in the Nantucket area.

Larry S

Money.

Larry S

Quote from: Beowulf on Sep 24, 2023, 12:32 PM
Just a guess, but if you're talking about old LRs, could it be something to do with very strict emission limits  ???

A
Quote from: Beowulf on Sep 24, 2023, 12:32 PM

AFAIK, there are no strict emissions rules or regs in re antique autos in the US, at least not in any State I've dealt with.  New autos though...