News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

MINI and METRO AUTOMATIC

Started by 2286, Oct 06, 2023, 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Theshed on Oct 12, 2023, 06:33 PMI had a couple of SD1 V8's. cracking cars. Reliability aside  :RHD
Actually the standard Series 1 V8 was great, it was my Vitesse that spent half it's life on an RAC truck !
Six of us went from Liverpool to Rochdale with my mate's brother in the boot. He was quite comfortable considering he a big guy.

Vitesse was the pin up looks wise.  Tony pond rallied an sdi prior to the 6r4.

The 6r4 v6 was a rover v8 with 2 cylinders lopped off so some say.

The sdi was underated, and blew capri out of the water.

My dad had a 1.8super deluxe marina estate.  The engine was superb which ever crank it had!

Hampered with the 4 speed box on higher speed runs.  But then 5 speeds were top end only back in the day or overdrive add ons depending on manufacturer.

w3526602

Hi,

OT ... but I just found an old photo, taken on Penang Island in 1967 ... Barbara sitting on the bonnet of my 1951 Sunbeam Talbot 90, showing off the legs that she used to have, and a home made L-plate.. I will have to refresh my memory about how to post pictures.

The car had no rust, and did everything it should do. Why, Oh why, didn't I ask the Royal Navy to bring it home? There would have been no charge .... but "hostilities" would have meant it being dumped over the side. Doh! I bought it for £20 (in Malay dollars), and sold it for the same amount. At that time, a married corporal "living out", in UK, was paid £20 per week, and I didn't realise how valuable the car would become.

Maybe not OT. Barbara passed her UK driving test in a very sad Mk.1 MINI which cost us £50 the previous day, in South East London, after one professional lesson .... first test of the day, as there was still snow on the roads.

Theshed

Quote from: 2286 on Oct 13, 2023, 11:17 AM
Quote from: Theshed on Oct 12, 2023, 06:33 PMI had a couple of SD1 V8's. cracking cars. Reliability aside  :RHD
Actually the standard Series 1 V8 was great, it was my Vitesse that spent half it's life on an RAC truck !
Six of us went from Liverpool to Rochdale with my mate's brother in the boot. He was quite comfortable considering he a big guy.

Vitesse was the pin up looks wise.  Tony pond rallied an sdi prior to the 6r4.

The 6r4 v6 was a rover v8 with 2 cylinders lopped off so some say.

The sdi was underated, and blew capri out of the water.

My dad had a 1.8super deluxe marina estate.  The engine was superb which ever crank it had!

Hampered with the 4 speed box on higher speed runs.  But then 5 speeds were top end only back in the day or overdrive add ons depending on manufacturer.

On the straight the Vitesse was a real flyer and won many a saloon Car Race.
Had some great fun on the motorway, surprising many a Hot Hatch driver !
Somethings rather silly and not to be repeated ...  :cool  :RHD
Mind you I also had an Ex- Police 3 Litre Transit. That was fun, and expensive !

Old Hywel

Our vicar had a V8 110, ex Bomb Disposal Squad.
He claimed it was the ideal transport when late for a funeral.

w3526602

Hi,

Bomb Disposal? Red front wings?

Google NUCLEAR ACCIDENTS UK. You should find one of my Leyland Hippos (that might, or might not, have been carrying a nuke war head Some did, some didn't, but the drivers didn't know which), that rolled away after the driver jumped out, and crashed into an old couple's cottage, waking th

Nuke warheads will burn, but not explode unless deliberately detonated, so it is safe to pee on them.

Theshed

I have just read an article on the Austin 1100.
It too had the fold down seats in the rear to make a 'bed' if you specified the optional reclining front seats.
And a hatchback to boot ! And I thought the Maxi was ahead of it's time ?
Amusing to read in the Ad' that the seats where ideal for holidaying couples with an eye on economy.  :)  ;)

w3526602

... but surely if Barbara receiving the care you describe she will be eligible for full DLA ?
There are many less deserving who have new cars on the Motability scheme.

Hi,

NO ... and YES.

Something that you will probably only become aware of when it hits you. MOTABILITY eligibility ceases the day you reach your 65th birthday, as do most other benefits, although you can keep it/them if you are already in receipt before 65.

After 65, the ONLY benefit you can claim is ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE, which comes at two rates. (Google).

Barbara is getting the higher rate.  I applied recently, and was awarded the lower rate. I find it difficult to argue, as the "accessible" rules do not specify which hours are day, and which are night. My African "Amazon" showers me in the wee hours, then gives me my soggies (muesli with yoghourt, and coffee) in bed, lunch at midday, and tea (aka tiffen?), in the early evening.

Circa 20.30hrs, the ladies to change me into my night attire (jogging pants and T-shirt), throws my pants and socks (changed daily) into the laundry basket, and tucks me into bed.

Unless otherwise occupied, my life is spent in bed, keeping Barbara company. She has been out of bed only once, in over a year, and that was to be ambulanced to hospital ... but nobody has told us exactly why. They probably don't know why, as she received no treatment.

Me? My knees are getting bad. My gait involves starting with my right foot slightly in front of the left, then moved forward to give a 12" gap, followed by the left catching up. Repeat!

I cannot manage steps higher than about 4". A few days ago, visit to newsagent. I crossed the road and found I couldn't surmount the opposite kerb. I had to cuddle a street lamp for support while getting my feet onto the footpath.

Boarding a bus is out of the question, but I can get into the driver's seat of Barbara's car, using the steering wheel as a struggling bar. To all intents and purposes, all the other three doors are no-go zones.

My doctor recently called me into the health centre, jammed what felt like a .45 calibre needle deep into my knee. Steroids? He did not say. I won't let him do that again. At the very least, I will demand X-rays, followed by a consultation (paying for PRIVATE if necessary) with the Orthopaedic lady surgeon at the University Hospital. She has the bed-side manner of Doc Martin, but she would be my surgeon of choice. Not that I would agree to operations, but to get some bargaining chips for claiming Attendance Allowance.

We have been subscribing to Beneden Health Care (Civil Service Health Insurers for almost exactly 50 years. They paid for my "new" eyes to be done privately, (I never felt a thing, almost fell asleep during the ops)so I have a "fall-back" position if the local "Quacks" turn snotty.

OT. Beneden were FOC for medical treatment, but said they could not afford the numbers of knee replacement coming through their doors, so charge £10,000 per knee, which is still better than the usual £15.000.

OT. SHOCK HORROR. A letter arrive on Saturday ... a bill for £2,000 to pay for the carer's services as described in my opening paragraphs. We were not aware that there was a charge, nor do we know if something similar, for Barbara, will be coming. I suspect not, else it would have arrive months ago. My Amazon warrior lady has been in Africa for several weeks, but returned on Friday, and I expect her to visit us in the very near future. I'll let her deal with it. She is a ... er... formidable lady. She and Barbara once had an "eyeball to eyeball" discussion ... the other carers evacuated the bedroom. We are all friends again.

w3526602

PS,

My Amazon lady has agreed that I am entitled to one early morning hug (standing). It sets me up for the day. Barbara seems amused by this arrangement.

Theshed

Ah. Thanks for enlightening us. It seems when you need it most, you can't have !
Don't let the B's grind you down.