Radically altered vehicle- does that apply to a range rover that has been bobbed

Started by 2286, Oct 25, 2023, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone run currently a range rover, land rover, or discovery that is factory standard in every respect other than it has been shortened to remove the rear overhang.

So c pillar moved forward and the dip down part of the chassis that collects water and rots out (yes I know that most of the chassis)

Does this constitute radical alteration?

Does it mean that said vehicle will no longer qualify on a an age basis for road tax and mot exemption where a completely standard vehicle of equivalent age would.

Are the dvla entitled or likely to reevoke or refuse to issue a v5c for road use

Or demand an SVA/IVA

Are they a nightmare to insure full stop, and or on a classic policy?

Pic of example

http://www.adrianstomcat.co.uk/Bobtail/Bobtail01-06.JPG

N

Yes, making this type of modification these days would be considered radical alteration.

It was ok back in the day, but no longer

So the vehicle is 1984 and the alteration was done sometime in the 1990's but do not have an exact date or any proof.

But it is not a recent mutilation.

The vehicle is standard in every other respect, engine, gearbox, axle just bobbed.

Peter Holden

If the chassis has been altered in any way then yes

Peter (your friendly VRO)

AlexB

as said, unless it can be proven that it was done 30+ years ago, it's substantially modified

Herald1360

Where does that leave a detachable gearbox crossmember on a 109 civvy vehicle?

w3526602

So the vehicle is 1984 and the alteration was done sometime in the 1990's but do not have an exact date or any proof.

Hi,

There IS a list of acceptable/not acceptable criteria. You can probably find it by Googling POINTS SYSTEM FOR REBUILT OR RADICALLY ALTERED VEHICLES.

There is an apparent loophole, in that if new parts are no longer available from the factory, then alternatives may be fitted ... but who's factory?

Alterations are acceptable, provided they were introduced/ common/ whatever, more that a specified number of years ago. I suspect that detachable cross-members were a factory option, but perhaps only offered to the military, Google the above.

Alterations are acceptable IF they improve efficiency and or safety.

From memory (but assume my memory is flawed) you need either 12 or 13 points, 8 of which must come from the chassis/shell/frame (you can't achieve the required number of points without the chassis). I think both axles are required to earn 2 points, but the engine is worth only 1 point. I can't remember what the suspension and steering are worth. I have a vague memory of listing the various points earnable, on this forum, within the last few months.

From time to time, I ponder if the wheels are considered part of the axles, or suspension. But then I remember reading (somewhere and/or
somewhen else) that alterations that can be quickly reversed may be disregarded. Visions of Series Land Rovers fitted with splined hubs, and "winged" centre-lock wire wheels (and a copper-headed club- hammer in the tool box).

OT. I read (a long time ago) of a rally with included the competitors having to remove a wheel, roll it around the car, and refit it, before continuing. The competitors in a vintage Bentley decided that "a wheel" could include the "spare" wheel, which in their case, was strapped to a front mudguard.  :flasher.

OT. Even more OT, probably late 1920s or early 1930s ... a driver finished FIRST in the Targa Floria (sp?), riding a bicycle borrowed from a spectating peasant.

The rules were quickly changed, to require BOTH the driver AND his car to pass the finishing line.

w3526602

Hi,

Sorry, I think I have misquoted the number of "points" required to avoid your project requiring an SVA.

Could it be 8 points, 5 of which come from the original or new chassis?

Anybody?

PS. I think I read somewhere that replacement chassis must be bought direct from the manufacture. Define "manufacturer".

diffwhine

May I suggest that for the avoidance of doubt, anything relating to a substantially modified vehicle should be treated with caution. Therefore the comments made in this post are largely speculative and should not be taken as a definitive statement of the facts and the rules.

Our Vehicle Registration Officer, Peter Holden, is best placed to guide people through this minefield along with Alex Bywaters who also has experience in what constitutes modification or acceptable change.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Quote from: AlexB on Oct 25, 2023, 03:14 PMas said, unless it can be proven that it was done 30+ years ago, it's substantially modified

Is the inverse applicable that the vosa or dvla or dvsa would have to prove it was done more recently than 30+

On points system, axles, engine, gearbox, wheelbase all standard.

What is not standard overall chassis length, overall bodyshell length both having been shortened by at a guess 12inches or 300m.

My long term aim would be to reinstate to stock, but fear that due to its current state whenever it was done it may be refused a logbook at change of keeper.

With reinstatement in mind are rear chassis sections available for range rover as per land rover, from whom and are they sit down and take a breath expensive.

Peter Holden

If you are a club member we are better off continuing this discussion in private

Peter

Wittsend

QuoteIs the inverse applicable that the vosa or dvla or dvsa would have to prove it was done more recently than 30+

Not a chance - the onus is on the owner to provide the evidence and it will have to be pretty convincing.

:RHD

Quote from: Wittsend on Oct 26, 2023, 01:30 PM
QuoteIs the inverse applicable that the vosa or dvla or dvsa would have to prove it was done more recently than 30+

Not a chance - the onus is on the owner to provide the evidence and it will have to be pretty convincing.

That is what I suspected, I have heard that vehicles that have been refused logbooks when they change hands, some however manage to evade the authorities.

There was a purge of highly publicised cases and it seems to have gone quiet of late.

I do not wish to find out the hard way by buying something that could not be road used.

Wittsend

Is there not a Range Rover forum or Facebook group who might have 1st hand knowledge ???

Personally I think the best advice would be to walk away - keep your money for something else.

That is the conclusion I had reluctantly reached.

The vehicle I had interest in was very solid and well sorted hence my lingering over it but the chop  has proved problematic.