Radically altered vehicle- does that apply to a range rover that has been bobbed

Started by 2286, Oct 25, 2023, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJC

Another option is to buy it, and buy a brand new (complete) chassis. Then rebuild it onto the new chassis as it was originally (a restoration project). Cut up the old chassis but keep the bit with the number on it, and job done.

Chris.

Quote from: Wittsend on Oct 27, 2023, 01:51 PMIs there not a Range Rover forum or Facebook group who might have 1st hand knowledge ???

Personally I think the best advice would be to walk away - keep your money for something else.

:RHD

I have nothing to do with facebook, the RRR or range rover register forum ceased a good few years ago.

w3526602

Hi,

This discussion seems to have ended a few weeks ago, so with Alan's permission ...

I frequently visit a cul-de-sac that ends in a hammer-head. I used to be able to do a U-turn in that hammer-head, but now either or both ends of the "head" are frequently filled with parked cars.

OK, I sympathise with the residents. I mean, they only room to park two, possibly three cars in their front gardens, with dropped kerbs running the full width of their property.

However, there is a gentleman who doesn't live on, but very close to, the hammer-head. He parks his car, at 45*, on the corner.

Going slightly ON topic. He has a modern euro-hatch that has been customised (nicely done), sitting on low profile tyres. The suspension has obviously been lowered, and the tops of the tyres are only just visible below the edges of the wheel arches. I guestimate that his sills are about three inches above tarmac.

Question. Can this sort of car be lowered that far, without altering the body shell?

Question. If the shell has been altered, I assume that would mean an IVA (or whatever)? Would that in turn lead to a Q-plate? Or a seize and crush?

My understanding is that such alterations would not void his Third Party insurance. I think only driving without, or never having held, a licence, or driving while disqualified, will VOID your insurance.

According to the RTAs, the insurers are entitled to sue the Policy Holder to recover their losses, if the Polic holder has been pushing his luck.

602 (I feel better now).

w3526602

I think only driving without, or never having held, a licence, or driving while disqualified, will VOID your insurance.

Hi,

It's what is (was) specified on your CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE that counts.

Sometimes I ponder if holding/have held a PROVISIONAL licence is sufficient to cover your back. ???

There is something in my mind about there being a 14 day "period of grace" following the expiry of your insurance provided you DO renew within those 14 days. Check that before pushing your luck.

602 Do you happen to know the make and model of the hatchback in your question as there are multiple companies that produce items to lower without altering the shell.

Coilovers, adjustable bottom arms, even airride.  Rephasing the the torsion bar and trailing arms, lower springs the list goes on.

ALL modifications must be declared to the insurer or the policy becomes invalid.

I know of police officers that have used this route to cease vehicles as alterations undisclosed result in no insurance and it get lifted on the spot.  It relies on the dvla MIB and so on being accessible and up to date.

I did think that how your tale began you knew of an owner who had bobtailed a range rover simply to turn around in the congested cul-de-sac.

My very scant range rover exposure revealed that double parked terraced streets and so on are not the environment to be driving them, that said the turning circle knocks spots off even the most sorted series land rover. 

w3526602

ALL modifications must be declared to the insurer or the policy becomes invalid.

Hi 2286,

I beg to disagree. The reasons for voiding insurance, are, or were, specified on insurance certificates, ie,

Racing and Speed Testing, or the Driver NEVER having held a licence, or being DISQUALIFIED. Imagine the public outcry if insurers started to refuse injury claims.

I read some years ago that DISQUALIFIED means "Disqualified by a Court of Law". A MEDICAL DEBARMENT by DVLC is'nt a disqualification.

OT. Many years ago Stirling Moss was disqualified (I wonder why?). He needed to have a valid licence to continue racing. Luckily, his full American licence allowed him to race in UK, but not drive on the road.

OT. A motor vehicle, on a PUBLIC Right of Way requires registration plates and insurance, but not an MOT. Again, many years ago, I read of an inebriated farmer, who drove home from the pub on ROWs, to find a police car waiting for him. If the generable public have access, even if they have to pay, you need insurance. I suppose that means you are vunerable in a pub car park?

PS. I have vague memories from when Continuous Licencing was introduced, that the police could seize a unlicenced motor vehicle, even if it was in your locked garage. Presumably somebody saw sense? I suspect that a vehicle becomes unlicenced if it's insurance expires, unless it's keeper declares SORN.

Alan Drover

When was continuous licensing introduced? I remember it being proposed in the early 1980's but it was never introduced. At that time I wrote to Lord Montague of Beaulieu on the subject and received a hand written letter from him. He was opposed to it.
As for declaring modifications etc to your insurance company you must do so otherwise the policy will be invalid and the insurance company can sue for breach of contract to recover amy expenses
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

I suppose we do now have continuous licencing in that a vehicle must be declared either under a SORN or as taxed. Its only vehicles which were not on the road pre the 1990s which escape that until such time as a new V5C is issued.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

The 1980's proposal would have resulted in a payment having to be made for any vehicle whether it was on the road or not. At least SORN is free for any vehicle.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Quote from: w3526602 on Nov 01, 2023, 05:40 AMALL modifications must be declared to the insurer or the policy becomes invalid.

Hi 2286,

I beg to disagree. The reasons for voiding insurance, are, or were, specified on insurance certificates, ie,

Racing and Speed Testing, or the Driver NEVER having held a licence, or being DISQUALIFIED. Imagine the public outcry if insurers started to refuse injury claims.

I read some years ago that DISQUALIFIED means "Disqualified by a Court of Law". A MEDICAL DEBARMENT by DVLC is'nt a disqualification.

OT. Many years ago Stirling Moss was disqualified (I wonder why?). He needed to have a valid licence to continue racing. Luckily, his full American licence allowed him to race in UK, but not drive on the road.

OT. A motor vehicle, on a PUBLIC Right of Way requires registration plates and insurance, but not an MOT. Again, many years ago, I read of an inebriated farmer, who drove home from the pub on ROWs, to find a police car waiting for him. If the generable public have access, even if they have to pay, you need insurance. I suppose that means you are vunerable in a pub car park?

PS. I have vague memories from when Continuous Licencing was introduced, that the police could seize a unlicenced motor vehicle, even if it was in your locked garage. Presumably somebody saw sense? I suspect that a vehicle becomes unlicenced if it's insurance expires, unless it's keeper declares SORN.

I was simply referencing to an officer who had a vehicle removed from the the road on the spot.

The vehicle deviated from as built factory, whilst modifications are allowed by insurers if detailed in full.  This individual has realised that it may adversely affect his premium or through being lazy or complacent it will result in policy being invalid, and the police therefore can take it off the road on those grounds as an uninsured vehicle. 

I am not making any reference to drivers qualification or road fund licence.

Vehicles require current rfl
current mot unless exempt and declared
current certificate of motor insurance which was voided due to undeclared mods.
Driver held current correct licence.

The mods had been made were considered to have effected the way the vehicle would have driven.

With regard to my original post, the range rover in question was totally standard other than it had approximately 12" cut from the body and and chassis presumably done to minimise overhang with a view to off roading.

No note of mot failing rot or vehicle damaged by rearend collision was noted, it was the owner at that times own personal choice.