News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Elephant hide door trims

Started by 22900013A, Nov 29, 2023, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

As my 88" appears to have had a trimmed cab from new (holes in door frames with factory paint visible, trim edgings still remaining on footwells) this is something I would like to reinstate.
I see Exmoor trim do door cards, has anyone used them before? Are they good quality? Also does anyone know if they come as a pair of singly, the website is not clear.
Any suggestions as to the actual cab trim, I only had the edging strips so no idea of material used or layout.

diffwhine

What have you got? Truck cab? Hard Top or Station Wagon?
If not a SW, it sounds like you have the deluxe trim option for other models.

I did a bit of an analysis of Exmoor Trim elephant hide versus various other options. There is a thread i did on here somewhere.  The ET trim is good, but in my view a bit darker than original. ET do build up the door cards and I think that is a pair, but do check. The website states "Trim Set" which suggests a front pair, but equally could refer to the individual parts on one door. It doesn't give you an option for left or right, so my money is on it being a pair.

With regard to the actual cab trim ( I assume that makes this a truck cab?), I think it's done in a material similar to the roof lining. If so, try Martrim. They do something like this which is a pretty good match:

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/product-details.php?productId=482

Their Elephant Hide option is nothing like what we use, but their headlining materials are nice and close to original.

Best place to get headlining overhaul kits for Range Rover Classics, Discoverys and so on. 

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

22900013A

Its a hard top. No evidence of roof trim, just the doors and cab interior on the bulkhead.

diffwhine

The footwells would have had the Hardura material on the bulkhead, footwells and footwell sides. Exmoor do a full kit I think - including transmission tunnel etc.
I don't think it was standard on the actual seatbox in those days.

diffwhine

When I used to sell Defenders for export, only the front can section had a headlining. The rest of the roof was bare.

autorover1

I believe if the cab was trimmed it would include headlining, are there any screw holes in cab rear panel.
This gives an idea where self tappers would go   

22900013A

Ths cab roof itself was not trimmed, there are no screw holes, and the board used to paint roof interiors with special rough insulating paint to prevent condensation, this covers the entire roof so there was nothing else above the driver.

Which is the bulkhead/cab trim set as I couldn't see that on Exmoors site.

simonbav

Quote from: autorover1 on Nov 29, 2023, 10:20 PMI believe if the cab was trimmed it would include headlining, are there any screw holes in cab rear panel.
This gives an idea where self tappers would go   

I like that! I've never seen a lined truck cab before.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

diffwhine

Quote from: 22900013A on Nov 30, 2023, 07:03 AMThs cab roof itself was not trimmed, there are no screw holes, and the board used to paint roof interiors with special rough insulating paint to prevent condensation, this covers the entire roof so there was nothing else above the driver.

Which is the bulkhead/cab trim set as I couldn't see that on Exmoors site.

This is the kit:
https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/hardura-tunnel-interior-kit.html

Craig T

I believe the Exmoor door trims include a slot for the series III door stay mechanism.
It would be an easy thing to leave out during the manufacture but I think I read someone else asked that of them and they said no, they are as they come.

Craig.

Craig T

As for the Hardura, the series II's / IIA's never got the seatbox covering.
Mine has it over the transmission tunnel (loose fitting piece) the face of the bulkhead behind the heater and that folds around the inner faces of the footwells, (glued in place) outer faces of both footwells, (glued) the roof of the passenger footwell, (glued) and, the roof of the drivers footwell around the pedals, mounted on a hard board, screwed in place with an aluminium retaining strip at the top and metal brackets behind the pedals.

You can buy Hardura on the roll from Woolies trim. That is what I did to repair a few worn pieces in my one and re-make the trim in the centre row seats. When I restored mine, no one was making new trim parts for them so I had to do it myself.

Love that Exmoor trim show the Hardura kit with the handbrake rubber boot fitted the wrong way around....  :thud

Craig.

For ultimate durability, whilst not factory correct I would personally make door and trim panels from alloy clad in vinyl of your choice.

The hardboard items tend to suffer with moisture warping and crumbling over time.

I think land rover themselves acknowledged this by making the upper door deluxe trim in alloy.

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Nov 30, 2023, 08:50 AMYou can buy Hardura on the roll from Woolies trim. 

Craig.

I would second this ^ , as it is what I have done on several occasions

Make templates out of cardboard (old cereal packets?) to match the shapes you need on the bulkhead and footwells, then cut the Hardura to the shape of the templates - and use a good glue.

Simples.

Door trims I suspect, will be the same as Station Wagons.
I have a collection of old ones but until I know what I need for the current restoration, I don't know if I'll have any spare - and if I do they will be rough!

But personally I prefer rough genuine to shiny new "almost-lookalikes"

Shiny new doesn't suit my restos! :))