News:

I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in December ?

Started by Wittsend, Dec 01, 2023, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcc130

Went on a charity Landrover road run today(in series 1 unfortunately) and spotted lovely 1958 series 2 no.37.
Wow, what a wonderful vehicle, very original, 2 owners from new both in the New Forest. 2l petrol, series one axles etc.

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Old Hywel

Peter Holden

The photos show fully floating axles

Peter

Davy61

I've not been able to do much with the series 2 other than think about it while feeding our 2 week old son (obviously future land rover owner)

Yesterday my parents, first time grandparents, visited and our son (and me of course 😅) were gifted this wooden land rover toy, handmade by my dad.
You can't start them young enough  :gold-cup

:tiphat
Davy,,

simonbav

What a toy, Davy! Credit to your old man. I'd have been delighted to have had such a toy when I was a kid.  :RHD
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Exile

Quote from: Peter Holden on Dec 18, 2023, 11:02 AMThe photos show fully floating axles

Peter

They began fitting fully floating axles near the end of Series One production.

That's a nice looking vehicle. :cheers

Peter Holden

Charles, there are also photos of S2 prototypes with semi floating rear axles

I am sure that either Rob Maude or Paul Bohan will be along with more definite information

Peter

58paul

No37 was the first 2L I'd have ever seen when I was a kid at a LR show at Stoneleigh. I remember it being very original back then.

It won't have series 1 axles, they will be S2, but what it probably refers to  is S1 carryover of the Hubs etc, only the axle case and halfshafts were originally modified (widen by a few inches) at first, then about 59/60 the brake back plates changed, then in late 60, early 61 the drop arms were changed to the familiar bottom mounting position.

As said, some of the early 88 S2 prototypes used the semi floating S1 units. Production versions were ready for start of production in March 58.

Peter Holden

Thank for the explanation Paul.  YOD still has its original axles and until recently its original drive members and I knew the brake backplates were the same as the S1.  Our November 59 still has drive members with the Allen key plugs in for topping up with oil.

Peter

Craig T

So should series one drive members have the filler plug?
I was cleaning my 1955 drive members last night and they are the scalloped versions rather than the later round ones but there are no filler plugs in them.

One of them barely has any splines in it either....

Craig.

Peter Holden

Just had a look at the S1 (54 to 58) and S2 parts books.  The S2 book shows the filler plug but the S1 doesnt, however they have the same part number.

Alice in wonderland time I think

Peter

diffwhine

I recall a comment in one of James Taylor's books saying that they were deleted, reintroduced and then deleted again. My 1965 drive flanges all have the filler screw and they are original.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Quote from: 58paul on Dec 20, 2023, 07:56 AMNo37 was the first 2L I'd have ever seen when I was a kid at a LR show at Stoneleigh. I remember it being very original back then.

It won't have series 1 axles, they will be S2, but what it probably refers to  is S1 carryover of the Hubs etc, only the axle case and halfshafts were originally modified (widen by a few inches) at first, then about 59/60 the brake back plates changed, then in late 60, early 61 the drop arms were changed to the familiar bottom mounting position.

As said, some of the early 88 S2 prototypes used the semi floating S1 units. Production versions were ready for start of production in March 58.

Thanks Paul.

The Series One Parts Catalogue states that fully-floating rear axles were fitted to all SI 109" vehicles from vehicles numbered xxxx. onwards.
And they were also available for Series One 1957-58 vehicles, "as extra equipment".

Half-shaft replacements were long enough for the Series Two axle casing, because if you fitted them to a Series One, they needed a spacer behind the drive flange on each side. (These spacers were available as a Genuine spare part).

It is interesting therefore, that they still used some semi-floating half-shafts for very early Series Twos.

RATA1

Reassembled my handbrake assembly after a strip and paint a few months ago.
I am so glad I took a lot of photos before disassembly!
S2 88
D4 XXV