News:

Summer is here ...   

Main Menu

Building a NEW SERIES Land Rover. Why cannot it be done?

Started by w3526602, Dec 04, 2023, 05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theshed

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Dec 04, 2023, 07:41 AMA new series Land-Rover would never be able to come even remotely close to passing crash test requirements, pedestrian safety standards or any of the current regulations on lighting, and occupant protection.

A Citroen Ami plugs into a standard 13a socket. No need whatsoever for a dedicated charging point.

If you want an electric car with range and performance beyond 28mph and 40 miles then a Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe can be had with significant discounts new, or with even more savings if purchased a year or two old, but they both will need a proper charging point.

Honestly, you're at the point where you're better off, both physically and financially, in not having a car at all anymore, and getting a taxi whenever needed instead.

This is what I tell my Dad. For the costs involved and the use his car gets he would be much better off using Taxi's when needed.

Theshed

I don't think it was that long ago when there was some sort of competition, on Tv I think, to build a LandRover from supplier available parts.
Think it was a race between Army Mech's and LandRover apprentices ?
BTW, 602. There is currently only fully Electric RangeRovers available to order new. Disco's will follow.

w3526602

Hi Threshed,

Try a Google for this ... COST OF BATTERY POWERED LAND ROVER DEFENDER.

Once you get past the "toy stuff", there IS mention of an electric DEFENDER.

I regret to say that I am not up-to-date on SINGLE VEHICLE APPROVAL. Is anybody?

I read FIRST OVERLAND, while lying on my "reesting pit", in 1960, at RAF Sharjah, two hoots and a hollah from Dubai. My daughter recently gave me a new copy, but I haven't got round to opening it yet. I would be surprised to learn that the Land Rovers were NOT towing trailers. How many "Ox-bridge" students were involved?

Use taxis? Go wash your mouth out! My arthritic knees would make it almost impossible to climb into the back of almost any regular "sedan" ... or front of an MG Midget. Walking involves standing with my right foot three or four inches in front of the left, then take 12" strides, starting with the right, so my right foot is always in front. I recently crossed the road thru the village, met a 6" kerb on the other side.  :thud  I had to walk to the nearest street lamp, to have something to cuddle while scaling the kerb. All the steps in the gardens of my bungalow have been reduced to 4". One day my "Black Amazon" Social Worker arrived, to catch me about to scale a ladder, up a tree, by pulling myself up, using only my arms, with my feet as "ratchets". (Only Barbara has the courage to argue with this lady ... with the lesser social workers "taking cover"). A blown bulb in a ceiling lamp meant living in the dark, until another African Social Worker (taller than me) was able to change it.

I recently slid gently out of bed. Barbara had to phone our builder, to come and lift my 100+kg back onto the bed.

I am now used to staggering from the shower, into the living room, (Its a bungalow), starkers, so the Carers can help me dress. Occasionally, I ask if their mothers know what they do for a living? A few years Caring in UK, and they are set-up for life back in Africa, probably their equivalent of working on the "off-shore oil rigs".

PS. Don't grow old ... it hurts!

PPS. I recently received a letter, telling my to report to an Orthapedic (sp?) Consultant ... in OXFORD.  :thud   I let Barbara sort that out.

Now its to be MK University Hospital. Drive to my daughter's house, (3 miles) to collect my "minder" (grandson), drive to hospital (about a mile), let him go to find a wheelchair. The new car has not yet been delivered, so I don't know if its wheelchair (folded) friendly.

Craig T

The first overland did use 1955, series one, 86" station wagons. There were three team members in each car and I believe only one of them, Nigel Newbery was from Oxford University, the rest were from Cambridge.

They definitely did not use trailers. Everything they took with them fitted in both the Land Rovers. They had strange rails fitted on the back of the roof panels which could be used to slide a tent into then tension it by pushing one Land Rover away from the other. Reading the book they used it very few times.

Craig.

w3526602

Hi,

In 1961, I accompanied a convoy of Trucial Omen Scouts (Tablecloth Soldiers) from RAF Sharjah, into the mountains, to deliver a complete tailplane for a light aircraft (RAF Auster?) that had "flipped" when landing.

Line abreast, flat out in Bedford 4x4 RL trucks, on sand that was too soft to wade through ... and too hot for bare feet ... trucks tyre pressures reduced from 70 to 20psi allowed us to stay in two wheel drive. I left my windscreen open, but despite travelling overnight, my eyeballs dried up, so I couldn't close my eyes. Luckily, the TUS Medic (British Sergeant) had a bottle of eyedrops, so I was able to drive back.

Wonderful to see the scenery full of long "rooster tails" of very dry sand hanging in the air for miles behind each truck.

There was mention of (but not confirmed) 120* plus in the shade, with the only shade being under your truck. The sand would burn your feet, so you quickly learned to flip your sear cushion when leaving the cab, so you'd burn your bum too, when returning.

PS, Different continent, 1966ish, NAAFI break at RAAF Butterworth (Malaya), blast of noise from a Supermarine Swift passing LOW over my SAM Site, probably only a few minutes from Singapore, breaking the UK to Singapore speed record. Bat of hell!

JohnR2

I'm not sure I understand the original question fully, but I think the OP wants a new electric Series 2 with wheelchair access? If I have read this correctly surely the cheapest way forward would be to buy an existing car, upgrade the brakes and convert it to a Tesla type powertrain? (maybe plug in hybrid would be better if available?) Being historic it wouldn't require MOT or road tax. This might be the easy part compared to adding wheelchair access which, because of the load bed height, I would imagine to be tricky. A complete new build would be eye-wateringly expensive and from my limited experience of the old SVA (Cobra replica) would not pass without changing the outward appearance to something like that of the Ineos Grenadiers (more expense and then it's not a series 2)   

w3526602

Hi JR2.

To clarify, my question was academic ... I've done three new chassis rebuilds (2 x 88" both S1 but on S3 galv chassis, and home brewed bulkheads and 1 x S2 using new galv chassis, and new after-market galv chassis.

I am now approaching 85th birthday, and struggle to walk. Most of my day is spent in bed beside Barbara who has been literally incapable of getting out of bed, since her discharge from hospital well over a year ago, following a fall.

She was kept in for three weeks, while the hospital arranged a clinical "engine crane", before realising that it would not roll under our 60" Adjustamatic double bed, (££££).

Their solution was to provide a hospital bed (1 metre wide), and leave me with a 30" half a double.. 60" is a comfortable double, but a 30" a single is considered to be a child's bed. We had to spend close on £1,000 to get me a replica 1000mm wide hospital bed.

My detached garage is about the same width as a regulation parking bay (which must be 8ft wide). I don't think my garage (brick built and proper tiled roof) is much longer than a super market parking bay. I am currently working on plans to extend my 6ft x 5ft bathroom across the side alley, and into the front half of the garage, leaving the rear half as a "treatment" room,(dialisis, or whatever a future owner needs) with a rear "picture" window overlooking the rear garden (which is becoming a young orchard).

There is room, and easy access, to park a large motor-home on the other side of the bungalow.

Whatever, a Land Rover with wheel-chair access is currently academic, until we can find someway of lifting Barbara out of bed. The problem is that due to the wrong actions of a doctor (Wartime Swansea) she does not have a right armpit to hang a hoist under, despite which she has been "pulled" twice on M4 at 115mph  in HER Honda CRX ... told not to do it again ... and clocked 125mph round Silverstone in a Ferrari for her 70th birthday prezzy. Married for 58 years ... and I still wake up  - screaming.