News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

RAC ... fees

Started by Kernowcam, Dec 27, 2023, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kernowcam

What's the current rates for RAC and AA etc. I have personal cover which includes all my vehicles and my old t4 camper which is the big hook with the RAC. Currently going up from 123 to 150 but will add 3 months on. Fed up with the usual bartering each year.
How are you getting on?

w3526602

Hi,

Doh! Forgotten their name, but Alan will know ... the recovery firm associated with the Civil Service.

Years ago, Barbara was side-swiped by an undertaking curtain sider on the M4 ... roadworks on nearside, 50mph limited, keep in lane. She phoned me (still in bed) to write down the registration and the operators name, then turned back, towards home, at the next junction, continued carefully, as the lighting fuse box had been smashed.

Soon after she spied a police car parked on its elevated platform.
Plod decreed it would be dangerous to continue, so she phoned for RECOVERY. Plod uttered a "mighty oath" when the recovery truck arrived just 20 minutes later.

Her car, a rather nice SAAB 900i, was a write off.

PS Barbara's ladies have now finished with her, so I asked her who our rescue people are.

BRITANNIA!

Ian F

Price depends on what services you want to have of course.
I have always been with AA - covers me and spouse no matter what car we drive, unlike the RAC.
I got a great deal last September by insisting I just paid the same as the "special offer" price they were advertising to tempt new customers.
Full suite of services for just over £100, which is the cheapest I have had for years.

Ian F

Jimbo

I find the same with the RAC. They cover me and the wife in any vehicle.
Every year they ramp the cost up by anything up to £200! A phone call armed with all of the special offer prices advertised online usually get it down to the special offer new joiner price.

TJRL

Quote from: Jimbo on Dec 27, 2023, 12:33 PMI find the same with the RAC. They cover me and the wife in any vehicle.
Every year they ramp the cost up by anything up to £200! A phone call armed with all of the special offer prices advertised online usually get it down to the special offer new joiner price.

+1

Ian F

That's interesting about the RAC. It's a very long time since I checked, but in the past I believe the RAC covered specific vehicles. That's why I switched to the AA.

Ian F

Jimbo

Had my RAC membership since 1993, always been personal, covering me in any car that I am in, not just driving. It does require a yearly phone call though, they always take the mickey at renewal time.
The few times I have called them out they have been spot on.

Kernowcam

How much is yours Jimbo?
With 2 my £150,foot 15 months sounds about right but they will expect £150 next year for 12!

Jimbo

Just checked. Back in August it was £117 for 12 months for myself and my wife.

Wittsend

For CSMA members the latest issue of "Boundless" has just come through my letter box.
On it's way to you soon.

Look for "Britannia Rescue" and in another topic - LV insurance.

Generally a good place to start  :gold-cup

It's wicked and a total waste of everyone's time to make customers to have to ring round and threaten them with lower quotes. It's a farce we can do without.

Rescue costs are rising, all these EV flat batteries and the conversion of the recovery fleet to EV costs and WE pay for it  :shakinghead
Accident costs are rising all the time and there's been a big hike in insurance fees.

It's the way of world these days  :'(

fv1620

I changed to Britannia a couple of years ago as it was the only one of the main players that had a phone line to call. Yes I know the others have phone lines but there is a move to direct you to an app & fill in your details often with questions that cannot allow you to properly describe the fault & circumstances of your breakdown. 
Clive Elliott

Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.

Wittsend

And there you are ^^^^

It's not always that the cheapest is the best  :shakinghead

How easy are they to contact ?
Can you understand the controller, do they speak English clearly ?
How quick are they to respond and turn out ?
Will they recover your classic car ?
Will they recover LWB models and/or 101 type vehicles ?
What about if you are towing ?
What about foreign recovery ?
How many call-outs are you allowed before they "throw you out" ?

:RHD

John

I get my cover with the AA, which is offered with my Lloyds bank accont with other things but when you get old they take away the travel cover so not such a good deal but as as said the AA covers all the cars you have or are in. It can be hard to work out the best value deal :confused
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Beowulf

Quote from: Wittsend on Dec 28, 2023, 11:09 AMIt's wicked and a total waste of everyone's time to make customers to have to ring round and threaten them with lower quotes. It's a farce we can do without.
It's the way of world these days  :'(
Companies exploit brand loyalty (naivety) where not questioning premiums and accepting `Auto Renewal`, is all good for business. The same kind of mentality exists at general elections, "Oh yes I`ve always voted for them".    :thud

Shopping around & haggling are time consuming and a pain in the rear bumper, but like security stuff on your LR, use it or get ripped off.

And companies know it, why else would they have a dedicated department whose job it is to deal with customers who are "Thinking of leaving us". For example BT.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Ray Clayton

Hi.
I have mayday cover with green flag via the Caravan club.
That covers the van and Disco 4 for £80. I can also add extra vehicles to the cover, so for £25 my 109 gets full cover as well.
So if you're in the caravan club and have mayday cover it's not a bad deal for £105.

Cheers 👍

Ray