News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Door Seals

Started by A62Tim, Jan 02, 2024, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A62Tim

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get original style door seals WITH the metal strip? 

All the ones I can find from Paddocks, Craddocks, JGS etc all have the metal strip missing, can you get them with it? Can you buy the strip separately?

Thanks

Tim

Phil2014

I always use the the off the roll seal from Baines with a 10mm x 2mm aluminium strip from B&Q inside, held on with countersunk M4 (sorry) Allen screws. Easily removed if you ever need to replace a section of seal.
https://coh-baines.co.uk/products/sponge-section-srs097ep

Phil.
Borders area rep.

diffwhine

I have some new original seal which firms part of a LR genuine 88" soft top kit. The metal strips are actually moulded into the rubber and pre-punched for the rivets.
I don't know if anybody makes it anymore and the problem is that the steel insert is not rust protected, so rusts inside the rubber.
I'm going to sell it with a complete LR Genuine soft top kit in the Spring. The buyer can decide what they want to do with it.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

haveyoubooked

+1 on Baines seals. Used them on S1 E type, MGC, MGBs and very impressed after i'd been disappointed by the quality of seals from the usual suspects.

steve6027

I was using a kit at work today. This involved sealing a rubber tube to two aluminium bungs, with a one way valve to inflate the bladder inside another tube.
The banding used to seal the bladder to the tube was stainless steel on a roll, along with a clasp and another mechanical item.
The roll of stainless was around 10 metres long x 13mm wide and around 1-1.5mm thick, but had no holes.
Ideal for fitting inside coh-baines seal and you could pick up on your existing holes already drilled.
I know you can buy builders stainless steel banding with the holes already punched, but this would mean drilling extra holes in the bodywork.
Will see if I can get any info where the company purchased it from.

Steve.

Craig T

Stainless steel banding material is what I used as well.
It is made by a company called Band-It and you can find it easy enough on an internet search. It's 1/2" wide and slides inside the COH Baines seal very nicely.

I use a leather hole punch to make holes in the seal and a metal joggler / hole punch tool from Frosts for the punching holes in the steel. Tin snips are used to cut the strip to length.
Pretty quick job once you get going.

Craig.

diffwhine

Which reminds me... Craig I still have your tools!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

steve6027

I looked up the details of the banding at work today, looks to be similar to what Craig T posted.
Company is: Reid Brothers, Glasgow.
The material we use is:
Reference C40499 Stainless Steel 1/2" wide (12.7mm) 0.030" (0.76mm) thick.
There is some thinner material.
Reference C44499 same width but 0.015" (0.38mm) thick.
It comes on a 100 foot roll.
This might be a bit thin, but I haven't got any original to compare.

Steve.