The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

VERY OT ... 602's new electric Hyundai.

Started by w3526602, Jan 26, 2024, 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

New car delivered, demonstrated and handed over, parked on drive.

Next day, I was unable to remember how to start it.  :confused

Next day, called out the salesman, who showed me another button, that was hidden behind a spoke of the steering wheel.

Today, at 05.00hrs, I'm frantically try to remember what else he told me.

Do I have to have my foot on the brake pedal while pressing that button?

Er ... there isn't a hand (secondary) braking system. I'm going to have to think about that.

Ian F

John, I think I would get the salesman out to you again, and get him to start and drive the car around with you in the passenger seat. Before you try it yourself!
These electric cars are quite fast and powerful and you might do yourself a mischief if you get It wrong!

IanF

Robin

Wittsend

Further ... one would have expected the salesman would have recognised your age & situation and made absolutely sure you were familiar with the basic controls.

Did they set the radio up for local traffic announcements ???

After taking you for a drive to demonstrate the basic features, he should have taken you to a local car park and sat with you while you opened the door, sat in, and started the car. Then go for a little drive with you behind the wheel.

Can we assume this is an automatic ???
The controls on these EVs take some getting use to and the dash/computer displays are something else.
What about the Sat Nav controls ?
There will be lots of lights and symbols that will be new and strange to you.

A bit of a learning curve for you.

Read through the driver's handbook a couple of times over a cup of tea. Find out where everything is and what it does.

:RHD

Old Hywel

Quote from: Wittsend on Jan 26, 2024, 09:37 AMCan we assume this is an automatic ???

We'll  pretend you didn't say that. :shakinghead

Phil2014

If it's like the last few new cars we've had, they no longer come with a handbook, all online or via an app, which is great as you can start the engine remotely and it's nice and toasty/defrosted by the time you get in, same with Ev's you can warm them up before you get in.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Peter Holden

Phil, you are getting soft.  I bet Kev Wood just puts his big coat on.  No wonder you wanted a heater in Nellie

Peter

Phil2014

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jan 26, 2024, 10:51 AMPhil, you are getting soft.  I bet Kev Wood just puts his big coat on.  No wonder you wanted a heater in Nellie

Peter
I don't need to tell you how soft Kev is, he's got heated seats in his series.  :RHD
Borders area rep.

Wittsend

It's been a few years since I last bought a brand new car (2016).

If the modern trend is now to only provide a driver's handbook online  :shakinghead
Then even more reason for a good dealership to take the new owner through the basic steps.

After all ... It's the least they can do when you're spending thousands of £s on a new car.

Surely they have some moral obligation to satisfy themselves that the new owner knows how the car works and will be safe on the roads ???

:RHD

Theshed

Quote from: w3526602 on Jan 26, 2024, 05:07 AMHi,

New car delivered, demonstrated and handed over, parked on drive.

Next day, I was unable to remember how to start it.  :confused

Next day, called out the salesman, who showed me another button, that was hidden behind a spoke of the steering wheel.

Today, at 05.00hrs, I'm frantically try to remember what else he told me.

Do I have to have my foot on the brake pedal while pressing that button?

Er ... there isn't a hand (secondary) braking system. I'm going to have to think about that.

I have only driven one fully electric car, for that foot had to be on brake pedal, car in P or N to start.
Hand Brake, as such was built in, so when you come to a complete Stop and in Park it come on. Then when in 'gear' it came off as you moved foot from brake to accelerator.
Not sure what you do if you actually need that secondary system ?
As others have suggested take your time getting accustomed to the controls, the accy pedal can be a touch sensitive ! And listen to what the car is telling you with regard to charging.
Good luck

Phil2014

Not sure about EV's or this specific vehicle, but my experience of electric handbrakes are, there should be a button/switch with the traditional parking brake symbol on it, pulling it/pressing it applies the handbrake which then automatically releases as you drive off. As said , the handbrake should apply itself when in park or switching the ignition off. I hated them when I first drove with an electronic handbrake about 20 years ago, love them now though.
Borders area rep.

Gareth

Sadly a continuation of covid consequences. I picked up my new Defender during covid, and it was a case of there it is, the keys and paperwork are on the seat, any questions please call.

Phil2014

Quote from: Gareth on Jan 26, 2024, 11:31 AMSadly a continuation of covid consequences. I picked up my new Defender during covid, and it was a case of there it is, the keys and paperwork are on the seat, any questions please call.
We picked our defender up in 2022, they did a very comprehensive handover, they didn't need to as I'd had a 10 month wait to learn the car inside and out.  :RHD
Borders area rep.

Wittsend

Good point ...

Do your homework.
There's loads of YouTube vids covering every aspect of your vehicle ... just do the searching.

:coffee

Peter Holden

WE bought our car 18 months ago, it was 6 months old because at that time the Stellantis group werent bringing new diesel cars into the UK.  However it came with a comprehensive handbook.

Peter