News:

Summer is here ...   

Main Menu

UNFIT FOR PURPOSE (I mean me)

Started by w3526602, Jan 26, 2024, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

Quote from: diffwhine on Jan 27, 2024, 04:12 PMI'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I've worked in the motor trade for over 30 years. Never have I seen a situation where the sales agent has not bothered to do a proper handover, explanation of controls, how things work, etc. What is going on here? If what you are saying is correct 602, then it's a shocking failure on behalf of your dealer.
They are without doubt shirking on their sales support. If in doubt get the manufacturer's importer on the case, but you should not have been provided with a car without a proper handover.

Or did you refuse a proper handover? Was one offered?

Quite so. I was even told how to wind down the rear windows when I took delivery of my 110. Nothing was left out, not that there was much to explain.

Wittsend

There can't be any Arthur Daley dealers left out there .... can there ???

diffwhine

Are you kidding? There are more than ever...!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

agg221

The world of car buying has very much changed away from customer service.

A colleague is leaving for a new job which will involve more travel, so is looking to replace his current car with a ~5yr old decent estate. He is looking at BMWs, Audis, Skoda Octavia etc - not that set on any particular make or model yet. The dealers round here won't even let him look over a car and take him for a test drive unless he pays a non-refundable deposit.

Alec

Theshed

I don't think they are the easiest vehicle to master, we could all put our hints & tips forward but as others have said you really need the dealer to give you a proper demo.
If they are not happy to help return the car as 'unfit for purpose'. If on finance consult your finance company.
I am sure there are many dealers around who will be happy to help.

w3526602

Hi Shed,

Actually, I like my electric Hyundai, it's just that there are some non-intuitive foibles, like no secondary braking system. The parking brake seems to be a switch on the end of a stalk on the steering column ... I do not dare using it while moving.

There seems to be something slowing me down if I get too close to a stationary object, but it seems to stop working if I get very close ... I am reluctant to test it fully, just in case.

The warning bleep goes crazy when reversing down my drive, but stops when I pass the gate post. OK, once you know.

But "Yeah!" ... I like it. I have not yet tried it in "hooligan mode". as it is pretty brisk in whatever they call its "performance mode". The "bleeper" gets quite insistent if I exceed the posted speed limit ... the bleeper seems to know to the inch when the speed limit changes. Does it read the road sign, or does it compare its invisible sat-nav with map-references. There is also something that lets me know if I wander over the white line.

I thought we were buying on an Interest Free finance deal. It was only after it was all done and dusted that Barbara told me she had bought it outright. She has only seen it through the bedroom window, told me it is my birthday (85) in a couple of weeks.

I have not yet seen what difference it makes to our electricity bill.

PS. The cheapest battery powered car is the Citroen Ami at circa £8,000. I think it cost us a short-£1,000 to buy and instal a charging point beside our front door.
I have no regrets, and no desire to return it

Birdsnest55

John I drove a Prius for a while, that had cameras on it that read the speed limit signs. Also if someone pulled out in front of you it hit the brakes. When in cruise control it would keep the same distance between you and the car in front if it slowed down or speeded up if the cruise is set higher.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Wittsend

When going at under 30 mph my car has city collision mode which means it applies the brakes to stop you rear ending the car in front. Does it work when driving towards a wall or hedge or cyclist or pedestrian  ??? I've not been brave enough to test it out.
Proximity sensors at the front & back & sides bleep if you get too close to something. Also when reversing you get a camera picture on a screen with guide lines to show how you are doing and the distance to what's behind you.

Some cars will even self-park for you - very scary.

Just wait for when your tyre pressure monitor warning light comes on.
I've just found out how to reset mine.

Look in your car's hand book, may of these "aids" can be disabled.
Problem is many of these options are "hidden" away in the depths of the onboard menu system  :ranting

Makes you think you'd be better off in a car of the '60s  :P4

Apart from reports of EVs catching fire, there have been recent reports in the popular press of EVs where the brakes have "failed" and the car can't stop  :thud

Alan Drover

What about the electric Jaguar on the M62 recently when the brakes couldn't be applied because something went wrong with the electronic junk and the vehicle had to be boxed in by police cars to stop it. Someone reckoned that the M62 would be blocked again when it caught fire.
If that isn't downright dangerous then what is!!!!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

... and self-driving cars are just around the corner  :thud

Alan Drover

Apparently lithium batteries don't need an external supply of oxygen to combust. That's why they are virtually impossible to extinguish by conventional means.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Theshed

Quote from: w3526602 on Mar 10, 2024, 05:56 PMHi Shed,

Actually, I like my electric Hyundai, it's just that there are some non-intuitive foibles, like no secondary braking system. The parking brake seems to be a switch on the end of a stalk on the steering column ... I do not dare using it while moving.

There seems to be something slowing me down if I get too close to a stationary object, but it seems to stop working if I get very close ... I am reluctant to test it fully, just in case.

The warning bleep goes crazy when reversing down my drive, but stops when I pass the gate post. OK, once you know.

But "Yeah!" ... I like it. I have not yet tried it in "hooligan mode". as it is pretty brisk in whatever they call its "performance mode". The "bleeper" gets quite insistent if I exceed the posted speed limit ... the bleeper seems to know to the inch when the speed limit changes. Does it read the road sign, or does it compare its invisible sat-nav with map-references. There is also something that lets me know if I wander over the white line.

I thought we were buying on an Interest Free finance deal. It was only after it was all done and dusted that Barbara told me she had bought it outright. She has only seen it through the bedroom window, told me it is my birthday (85) in a couple of weeks.

I have not yet seen what difference it makes to our electricity bill.

PS. The cheapest battery powered car is the Citroen Ami at circa £8,000. I think it cost us a short-£1,000 to buy and instal a charging point beside our front door.
I have no regrets, and no desire to return it
Most of the gizmos and gadgets you describe can be turned off as others have said.
They are usually hidden somewhere on your centre screen.
Indeed the lack of emergency brake is worrying. The first LandRovers with Electric Park Brakes could be used in an Emergency.
Apparently if you applied the switch at speed then the car would know it was moving and apply the brake gradually.
Really not sure what would happen if you pressed the P button that now doubles a s a Park Brake switch.  ???
On a recent drive in a new Defender the Driver showed us the party piece of trying to put it in Reverse at speed !
Various lights flashed but it would not change gear.
Good luck, give it a bit of time. You will get there.

w3526602

Hi,

Men are from Mars.

Women read the instruction manual.

Richard

But given the biblical thickness of today's owner's manuals, they will still be reading when their car has been reduced to a rusty heap of dust. By that time us men will be flying to Cogswell's Cosmic Cogs in our aerocars with transparent bubble top :cool

Richard
'64 S2a
'85 RRC

Alchad

Quote from: Wittsend on Mar 10, 2024, 06:55 PMWhen going at under 30 mph my car has city collision mode which means it applies the brakes to stop you rear ending the car in front. Does it work when driving towards a wall or hedge or cyclist or pedestrian  ??? I've not been brave enough to test it out.

Same here. This was a feature on a BMW I had a few years back, tried it out a few times speeding towards a car in front  of me but always chickened out before the car😀. Present BMW also has it and annoyingly pre warns (and scares the pants of you!) by bleeping a flashing a big red warning on the screen if there is a car in front turning right of the road and no danger of collision.

It does also absolutely refuse to get closer to a foot from the front garage wall which is a pain because the drop down garage door virtually touches the back of the car if I try and close it.