What have you done with your Series 2 in February ?

Started by Wittsend, Feb 01, 2024, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Littlelegs

Had a day off today so spent a few hours freeing off the bolts/studs for the water pump and cleaning some corrosion and gasket remnants from the water pump housing and thermostat housing.

I also removed the dynamo for a check and clean up. I expected one long bolt front to back for the dynamo not the short front bolt and stud arrangement shown in the images. Is mine how it should be for a Series 2a or has someone been modifying. Any advice on  the best way to check the dynamo? It's labelled up as Lucas LRD100.

1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

diffwhine

That looks right for the 2A Dynamo arrangement. Can the stud move? If not, you need to work on that as it is a complete pig if that stud does not move in that casting.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Littlelegs

I didn't have much of a play with the stud as there was room to manipulate the dynamo out, but it does seem fairly solid and immovable. I assume the stud runs through the casing. It doesn't have a nut on the back side nearest the bulkhead, should it have one? Cheers jamie
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Wittsend

Here's a clue from the parts manual...

The long stud should be removable, unless a PO has bodged something up.

:RHD

simonbav

Good evening all,

here's my second effort at the Men's Shed on my sun visors today using Talullah's recommended high temperature adhesive tape...I pressed the leatherette down onto the tape and then snipped the excess of material further in from the edge...exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Talullah. Not perfect yet but definitely heading in the right direction for the three remaining. :cheers
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Dopey

When you turn the corner and the material puckers up, that what's called "a pig's ear" that's where the saying come from (the wife Is a seamstress that's how I know)

martinthefirst

After many years of a floppy Tex Magna (sounds like a Dorset village) indicator, I fitted a new rubber and new bolts, self cancelling now works :cheers-man

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HTegsssyknFXGSnGA

Larry S

Quote from: martinthefirst on Feb 17, 2024, 07:46 PMAfter many years of a floppy Tex Magna (sounds like a Dorset village) indicator, I fitted a new rubber and new bolts, self cancelling now works :cheers-man

What flasher unit are you using?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Littlelegs

I took another look at the dynamo bracket and studs and cleaned them up a bit. There appears to be 2 studs, one towards the front of the vehicle and a slightly wider one towards the rear, rather than one long stud. Neither will move despite some persuasion. I suspect a previous owner has altered things in the past. I'll take another look but am reluctant to try forcing things for fear of causing further problems. Any advice welcomed.

Whilst poking around underneath I also noticed that someone has cut a slot in the flywheel casing at the bottom. Why would anyone do this and is it likely to be a major issue in the future.

I also noticed that the sump needs sealing as that has obviously been leaking, hence the oil liberally coating the sump and chassis 😂

My work and parts list is getting longer every time I go out🥴
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

diffwhine

With your flywheel housing, I suspect that some cowboy decided that was the simplest way to extract a piece of broken starter motor rattling around at the bottom. Pretty shocking though. You could make up some sort of cover plate and bond / screw it on, or leave as is until such time as the engine has to come out.

Your dynamo stud... In the pictures, both ends look like they have 5/16 UNF threads. I had a similar issue on my own engine where the stud was well and truly seized in the block. A combination of heat, tapping and working at it with a pair of vice grips got it moving eventually but it took ages. I had to sacrifice the stud.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Littlelegs

Thanks for the advice diffwhine. I really don't understand why someone would cut a chunk out of the flywheel housing for whatever reason. It just makes no sense 🤷�♂️. A cover plate of some sort sounds a good idea. 👍

I'll take another look at the dynamo stud. Excuse my ignorance but why does it need to be free to move if the dynamo sits at the right position. I'm just conscious I don't want to make things worse by trying to get it to move.
Any and all advice appreciated 👍
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Larry S

Hmmm.... any chance they cut that slot for drainage?  It might sound daft, but maybe they were trying to do something timing related.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

GHOBHW

I think people just did the easiest thing on land rovers in the past, as most were seen as throwaways, check out the bell housing on my gearbox... ???

martinthefirst

Quote from: Larry S on Feb 17, 2024, 08:17 PM
Quote from: martinthefirst on Feb 17, 2024, 07:46 PMAfter many years of a floppy Tex Magna (sounds like a Dorset village) indicator, I fitted a new rubber and new bolts, self cancelling now works :cheers-man

What flasher unit are you using?

The one that came with the LR when I bought it, sorry, don't know the make or model Flashes rather slowly which i like.

Littlelegs

Quote from: GHOBHW on Feb 18, 2024, 04:26 AMI think people just did the easiest thing on land rovers in the past, as most were seen as throwaways, check out the bell housing on my gearbox... ???

Wow, that makes the hole in mine look quite neat and tidy :confused
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol