News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

7.50 16 or 235 85 16

Started by Bigdog, Feb 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landy_109

Quote from: Ed Straker on Feb 06, 2024, 12:03 PMIn West Oz, Toyota takeoffs can be had periodically when dealers swap them out.  They are sold relatively cheaply and have only delivery miles on them.

These are 225_95_r16 Dunlop Road Grippers and suit the LWB quite well, keeping the skinny Series look.

Unfortunately getting harder to find the Road Grippers now, more Landcruisers being delivered with Bridgestone Dueler equivalents. Don't think they wear quiet as well as the old Road Grippers.

Ad

In the beginning (20 years ago) I bought my 88" with some terrible Indian 6.00x16 tyres.
I had Avons available 7.50 x 16 (from my project 109): Ok, but not very 'grippfull' on wet tarmac.
After a few years I switched to Michelin XPC 7.50 x 16 and used them for approx 15 (!) years (avarage milage approx 3-4000/year): very good, on-road and (reasonable)off-road. These, being worn: a year ago replaced by .............. 205/80 x 16 Michelin latitude Cross"not the cheapest, but what a fine ride.
The 88"is now somewhat (approx 1/2 inch) lower, but sofar this has proved to be no objection offroad.
Steering is a lot easier and grip in wet and winter conditions absolut OK.
And also the 'looks'for me is best.
So consider 205/80 x 16: a lot of makes have them available!

w3526602

Hi Ad,

Be careful about how old your tyres are.

Memory tells me that the French are strict about the age of your tyres, but same memory is not so good about at what age they become actually illegal. Definitely 10 years, but more likely 7 years. I believe Monsieur Plod will pull you over and check.

Whatever, you/we need to know. There was some discussion about UK bringing in something similar. Probably 30 or 40 years ago, a dealer in the Swansea Valley was selling what he called "REMOULD QUALITY" new tyres for £10 each, saying they were imports from Germany.

w3526602

PS,

A 109" truck looks "demasculated" on 6" or 205s. There might also be MGW restrictions.

Again ... I doubt that SWB tyres are compatible with LWB rims, nor vice versa.

Bigdog

I have decided to buy these wolf wheels and tyres, Goodyear G90

GHOBHW

those are good rims and tyres, you usually need longer studs for wolf wheels, but not really as you have more than enough thread for the wheel nut.

some people hate g90s but its all I run on mine, great tyres and still cheap to get too.

Alan Drover

A very good choice. Like GHOBHW I am running Wolf wheels and GP90's. Very strong wheels and tyres.
When the military started using Wolf wheels they didn't fit longer studs.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Would I need longer studs do you think

Birdsnest55

If you use the later wheel nuts they seem OK.
I have wolf wheels on my 1965 109" and used the later nuts, not metric.
Unless yours have the later hubs.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Bigdog

This is my hubs, I have cleaned them up since this photo

Alan Drover

Try the wheels on and see
I had to have longer studs on the front wheels because of the disc brake conversion but not necessary on the drum brakes on the rear.
I use wheel nuts with closed ends.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Are the easily available if I needed any

Alan Drover

Later large or earlier smaller wheel nuts?
The later type are 27mm size. What size are yours?
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Not sure sorry, will need to measure them

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Feb 09, 2024, 04:19 PMNot sure sorry, will need to measure them
Just see what size socket fits.
"Ça plane pour moi!"