News:

40 days and 40 nights of rain 

Main Menu

Longer wheel studs

Started by Bigdog, Feb 11, 2024, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Agreed Rob - that was my point about using 9/16 BSF studs as appears to be the case here.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bradley66

Quote from: LR_Optional_Equip on Feb 11, 2024, 09:35 PMAs long as they're on M16 studs they will be fine. The MOD put out a memo stating a revised torque of 125lbft when fitting wolf wheels to standard length studs.

As a former MOD employee ( Senior Mech Engineer) it wouldn't be the first  time they got it wrong.
This is a safety issue . Simple as .
Wheel nuts , such as these should be in safety. Land rovers used in military service are one thing , used in private ownership is another.

Alan Drover

A military Land Rover will be subject to much rougher use than a civilian one surely and if there's no problem with the standard wheel studs then that will be ok for civilian use.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bradley66

I ha
Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 11, 2024, 10:21 PMA military Land Rover will be subject to much rougher use than a civilian one surely and if there's no problem with the standard wheel studs then that will be ok for civilian use.

I have to disagree. Maintenance schedule is totally different.
Just because the MOD used short studs occasionally ( and I saw no evidence of this at Larkhill) then that is no defence when a stud fails. Couple that with the fact that we also appear to be talking about the smaller studs !
Increased torque, smaller stud and only partial thread engagement. Are you really suggesting this is ok !

diffwhine

Precisely... Thats what I've been saying all along.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Of course. I had forgotten that it was the earlier smaller studs.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GHOBHW

not sure if I'm remembering right, but the longer studs usually have a line on the end of the stud, to show they are the longer type.

I had them on my 130 and got a few hubs I had as spares for it with the lines on the stud ends.

I ran wolfs for a few years on my 88" with the later series 3 hubs, never had any issues :cheers-man

Alan Drover

I suspect then the later larger wheelstuds are ok, but not the earlier smaller ones.
"Ça plane pour moi!"