I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Did Series LR come with metric threads

Started by Ken, Feb 13, 2024, 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I've questioned Paddock over the use of metric threads instead of 3BA on their fuel tanks.
It seems I'm the only one to complain so that's  alright.
Also they say that series has a mixture of metric and imperial threads.
I haven't found any metric only BSF and UNF. Did they really have metric threaded components ?

TimV

Five bearing engines, wheel studs from 2a suffix H

GlenAnderson

BA is actually a metric thread from.

But, in answer to your question; no, not really. Only wheel studs on late 2As, and engines and brake components on very late Series 3s.

Ken

What year would the late S3 be ? I wonder if that was the start of conversion to metric across industry.
Decimalisation was early 70 's I recall

TimV

October 1980 (according to James Taylor) on very late three bearing engines.

As said, some metric fittings on the brake system.

Mycroft

sIII windscreen hinges switched to metric at some point during 1980.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

BL started seriously going  metric in the 1970's but it took a time to work its way through existing models  and various items changed before that. 

Calum

Yes late S3 started to feature more and more metric fasteners but hardly any on a 2 or 2a

Having said that there's at least 4 metric threads on every series vehicle from 80" onwards (petrol models at least!)

Tomas

I eventually worked out that the banjo bolt on a Solex carb is M12 which I guess is to be expected as I believe they were French originally.

Peter Holden

Completely left field but some either morris or Austin engines from the 50s had metric threads after the French Hotchkiss company was bought as they used their engine design but to maintain uniformity the bolt head sizes were changed to match the knes being used in the UK at the time

Peter

Craig T

Quote from: Tomas on Feb 13, 2024, 11:31 PMI eventually worked out that the banjo bolt on a Solex carb is M12 which I guess is to be expected as I believe they were French originally.

Both the Solex and Zenith carbs are metric threads and I too believe they originated in France. Some of the threads in a Zenith are not what we now call standard metric course threads, some are a strange fine thread such as the idle air bleed screw.

Only place I've found metric though on my 1967 vehicle. All the rest is UNF or a mix of BSF / BSW for the gearbox and axles that were unchanged from series ones. Are there any UNC threads in the engine block castings on the II / IIA? The Rover V8 was all UNC as they are aluminium castings off course.

Craig.

diffwhine

As far as I am aware, the original 2.25 engine / 2.0 diesel was fully specified in UNF. I can't think of anywhere with a UNC thread let alone BSF/BSW with the possible exception of the securing bolt for the rocker cover breather. Apart from the carbatooter, I can't think of any metrickary in there.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Tomas

Quote from: Peter Holden on Feb 14, 2024, 06:14 AMCompletely left field but some either morris or Austin engines from the 50s had metric threads after the French Hotchkiss company was bought as they used their engine design but to maintain uniformity the bolt head sizes were changed to match the knes being used in the UK at the time

Peter
And even further left, the De Havilland Gipsy Major 4 cylinder aero engine used metric threads but the bolts and nuts were made to fit BSF/Whitworth spanners. I've heard it say that's because the engine can trace it's design back to one half of a First World War surplus Renault V8.
(apols for the deviation)

Ken

The 2 bolts holding the heat shield on the manifold, rear of the carburettor are UNC.