News:

World Land Rover Day   ... 

Main Menu

The Worst Car You've Ever Driven.

Started by Alan Drover, Feb 13, 2024, 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Quote from: Gareth on Apr 17, 2024, 04:43 PMBy a country mile the worst car I have ever driven is a Reliant Regal. Absolutely crap.
I've only ever ridden in one. Scared me witless!!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

I've had three Reliant Robins, but never a Regal. As a car, yes, they're pretty rubbish; but they are significantly better than a motorcycle and sidecar, which was their primary competition when they were current.

I quite liked them, the Robins at least. Very revvy and possibly the best gearchange action of any vehicle I've ever driven - like working the bolt of a rifle. 😃

Beowulf

I think it was 1979 when I bought my 1971/72 FIAT 127 for £100, young and newly married I needed cheap transport.
Driving home in my new car I attempted to open the quarterlight, I pressed the small button and twisted the catch, but instead of opening, the quarterlight came away in my hand and it spent the rest of the journey on the passenger seat.
Of course it got worse, unknown to me at the time, the tailgate let in water and this collected in the rear footwell. Not until I braked a little suddenly did I find out because I was then surprised by the tidal-wave that came rushing into my front footwell.
I advertised the car for sale in a local newspaper and a young man arrived to see it. Handing over his £110 he attempted to drive it home, but the thing :mr-angry  hadn't done with me yet because the gearstick had come away in his hand.
Handing back his £110, I said I would fix it and call him the next day and then an extraordinary thing happened, he actually said OK.
The next day I crawled under the car (ah those were the days when I could) to reconnect the ball & socket arrangement and just for good measure I wrapped some strong wire around them.
The young man arrived a little later and I explained exactly what I`d done, he said that's ok, my dad is a mechanic so he`ll fix it properly. And so I got my money back with a 10% profit.

FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow   :shakinghead 

Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

diffwhine

That brings back memories... I remember on the way to school in our 127 estate, that the gear lever did the same thing with my father. Must have been a common trait.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

martinthefirst

I had a 127, the gear change was very imprecise and floppy. I eventually sold it to a vicar. A few days later he returned complaining that there was no reverse gear. I jumped in and flicked the lever smartly, reverse was selected and the car moved backwards. The vicar actually said it was a miracle, but it was just worn bushes. I made some adjustments and he went happily on his way.

Alan Drover

Wasn't the Fiat 127 "Car of the Year" once?
A meaningless accolade.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

It morphed into the Lada Riva don't forget...

simonbav

My mother had a Fiat 128 3P, a coupė, and apparently a desirable car, according to my somewhat chocolate lifeguard of a stepfather. It was shi**, rusty, unreliable and exorbitant to repair.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

diffwhine

Actually I was mixing up my rubbish Fiats. I think ours was a 128 Estate. Wasn't the 127 the really really rusty one?

simonbav

I dunno Mark, this was what we had. Mumble, mumble, she should never have gotten rid of the MG1300.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

I think all Fiats of that era were soluble like Lancias due to the very poor quality of the steel used in manufacturing.
I think from memory it was Russian steel in payment for Fiat investing in the Lada plant.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

geoff

When they weren't dissolving they did their best to live up to their name FIAT : Fix It Again Tomorrow  :RHD

diffwhine

I got it completely wrong. Ours was a pea green 124 estate.

sheepman

It's a tie between a Land Rover Series 1 and an Austin Allegro

Old Hywel