News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

The all new Spotted thread.

Started by Kev, Jul 20, 2023, 08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

Spotted on my travels with work in South East Leicestershire.
The same year as mine👌, - anyone on here?

Kev

Another one spotted on Monday, in Dennington, Suffolk, parked outside the local pub.👌🍺🍺🍺

John

^^^ looking at the A frame on the front of this series, how can this be legal to tow on the highway unless a system to brakes on all 4 wheels is invisable to me ???
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Kev

Calm down, we'll have no internet police here.😂

nathanglasgow

I think at the speed the road roller goes and it's weight, to tow a swb land rover won't be a safety issue.  ???

Exile

Quote from: John on Apr 05, 2024, 03:02 PM^^^ looking at the A frame on the front of this series, how can this be legal to tow on the highway unless a system to brakes on all 4 wheels is invisable to me ???

I heard locally about that shocking culprit with the steam-roller.

Apparently the Suffolk Police wanted to book him, and so gave chase.

But they couldn't keep up with him, on their bikes.

So, further along the road they threw a "stinger" across the road, to stop him.

For some reason, that didn't end well either.

;)

jonhutchings

Quote from: John on Apr 05, 2024, 03:02 PM^^^ looking at the A frame on the front of this series, how can this be legal to tow on the highway unless a system to brakes on all 4 wheels is invisable to me ???

The rules are different for road locomotives, steam rollers etc. You can tow more trailers (3 for a road loco not including any water bowser) and the braking mechanisms can be minimal or hand operated emergency brakes only (remember in the case of steam rollers they often have a maximum speed < 10mph - many single speed road rollers will struggle to do 8mph flat out - they are not really designed to travel distances under their own steam which is why every local council used to either own one or have a contract with a local firm. For this purpose an A frame is perfectly acceptable in my opinion (and it's pretty common to tow a land rover or similar behind your steam engine). Even a "fast" road locomotive will do only circa 20-25mph flat out, and at that speed would be stopping to refuel frequently, and be hard work over long distances.

Remember steam engines only have very rudimentary brakes themselves, typically a large wooden block operating on the inside rim of the rear wheel via a screw threaded mechanism which take many turns to wind on/off. It's really more of a parking brake. If you really want to stop in a hurry you slam the reverser into to full reverse, thus reversing the flow of steam into the piston(s). This is only recommended in an emergency if you are travelling however as a) it's possible to bend something expensively and b) the steel wheels (or solid rubber if you are posh) are likely to slip on the road surface.

Bottom line - never get in the way of steam road vehicle you will _always_ lose but you should have plenty of time to get out of the way!

Theshed

Nice looking Series with the A-Frame.
Not sure what the issue is with regard to towing. Using an A frame was once common practice enabling single person recovery and much safer than a rope.
Did it myself many times. Due to circumstances I had to move a Range Rover Diesel with my SWB Transit Petrol. Now, that I do not recommend !
In fact I still have said A frame lurking in the garage.

Theshed

:ranting  Aarggh !
I've lost the link but spotted on t'net was a 6x6 Series 2A with a very interesting bonnet arrangement.
The whole front end tilted forward ! great for access.

GVO418J r.i.p.

That was probably the MR HEWES channel on you tube.

He is mostly into restoring military stuff [tanks/apv/foden etc including some in collaboration with the Tank Museum] but he has oddball episodes with other heavy equipment.

He had the 6 wheeler on a few days ago.

He also has recently had 2 episodes on a barn find 2A stationwagon with a MAD, MAD conversion to a Jenson V8.

What made me green with envy was not the mad conversion but the apparent almost perfect body work with regards to the minimal rust. Chassis looked crusty but it could have been just flaky underseal

22900013A

Quote from: Theshed on Apr 06, 2024, 08:56 AMNice looking Series with the A-Frame.
Not sure what the issue is with regard to towing. Using an A frame was once common practice enabling single person recovery and much safer than a rope.
Did it myself many times. Due to circumstances I had to move a Range Rover Diesel with my SWB Transit Petrol. Now, that I do not recommend !
In fact I still have said A frame lurking in the garage.

The issue is the unbraked weight exceeding the legal 750kg. No idea if different rules apply to traction engines, but general A frame towing behind a van or car is a no no unless you can somehow operate the brakes on the vehicle under tow.

Kev

Spotted today (On the 28DL website)
This was snapped in a derelict paper mill in 2023.

Theshed

Quote from: GVO418J r.i.p. on Apr 07, 2024, 11:12 AMThat was probably the MR HEWES channel on you tube.

He is mostly into restoring military stuff [tanks/apv/foden etc including some in collaboration with the Tank Museum] but he has oddball episodes with other heavy equipment.

He had the 6 wheeler on a few days ago.

He also has recently had 2 episodes on a barn find 2A stationwagon with a MAD, MAD conversion to a Jenson V8.

What made me green with envy was not the mad conversion but the apparent almost perfect body work with regards to the minimal rust. Chassis looked crusty but it could have been just flaky underseal

Yes. That'll be him. I remember the Jensen video.