News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in March

Started by Wittsend, Mar 01, 2024, 12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

A new month ... tell us what you have been up to today.

:Lucas-25D

Peter Holden

Yesterday  I visited my nephew and saw the 1948 sideplate engine running.

Also collected some parts for my spreadbore engine build

Peter

Littlelegs

3hours of effort, some profanity, a lot of heat and some violence and I've managed to get the dynamo stud out. Small but satisfying.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

diffwhine

Well done. Perseverance pays off!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Littlelegs

Quote from: diffwhine on Mar 02, 2024, 10:27 PMWell done. Perseverance pays off!

Thanks, I didn't think it was going to move, but after lots of heat, tapping and plus gas applications it finally gave in. I still need to clean up the hole through the casing and will run a drill bit through it tomorrow and apply some copper slip . The stud is probably reusable, at a push, once the threads are cleaned up but I'm going to source a new one to be on the safe side. Your advice on here gave me the confidence to persist. Cheers 👍
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Peter Holden

Not a minor achievement at all.   Removing something like that in one piece is a major success

Peter

Eskvalleyboy

I'm on with fitting a new tub floor with proper crossmembers as the plywood one with box section I put in when I restored it has rotted, I have a bit of a question as to the location of the longitudinal rubbing strips.

I'm assuming that they should be riveted directly over the longitudinal channels and should they're be 3 of 4 bearing in mind that this is technically a series 3 tub?

Hoping that your all well
Many regards Chris.

Adam1958

Lovely meet at broadway tower then a spot of sliding about.

Paul4978

Met up with other South Wales LR people at Lle Tarw coffee cafe at Ynyswen. Nice people, a good variety of vehicles old and new. Excellent coffee, and thanks for the bacon butties Hywel
Went via the forestry track Heol Tir Lan between Ystradfellte and Coelbren. A huge fallen tree stopped me just after the Ford so had to go back and round the long way.
Blue skies and sun made it a good day

simonbav

I replaced the corroded ali brackets on the n/s sill panel, bonded with Tiger seal and countersunk pop rivets. Nice to see daylight after five o'clock and see the ground beginning to dry out.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

A few steps forward after a recent Turner head upgrade.

Engine was running badly with various manifold leaks (NOS - sort of - inlet and new Britpart exhaust manifold). An hour or two patiently resolving minor issues with the inlet and repeatedly trial fitting seems to have paid off.

Generally, I'm impressed with the Britpart (Chinese made) exhaust manifold. All the faces have been straight and in line and all the tapped threads for studs have been well made. Only one minor issue - a bit of casting around one of the flanges hadn't been cut back quite enough to clear one of the mounting bolts but was easily resolved (after I'd killed the first bolt...) with a grinder.

Proper tuning should start later this week when the final parts of the Zenith I've rebuilt come together.

Littlelegs

Quote from: simonbav on Mar 03, 2024, 06:25 PMI replaced the corroded ali brackets on the n/s sill panel, bonded with Tiger seal and countersunk pop rivets. Nice to see daylight after five o'clock and see the ground beginning to dry out.

I need to do this with mine. Any chance of a picture of the outside of the panel please.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Oddjob

Sunday tip run. Always surprises me how much you can wedge into an 88.

Peter Holden

And no dodging the cameras either

Peter

simonbav

Quote from: Littlelegs on Mar 03, 2024, 09:36 PM
Quote from: simonbav on Mar 03, 2024, 06:25 PMI replaced the corroded ali brackets on the n/s sill panel, bonded with Tiger seal and countersunk pop rivets. Nice to see daylight after five o'clock and see the ground beginning to dry out.

I need to do this with mine. Any chance of a picture of the outside of the panel please.

Sure will LL, I'll be back near it next weekend.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon