News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in March

Started by Wittsend, Mar 01, 2024, 12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Did you buy in the headlining or make it yourself? I'm quite keen to see what the ones from Badger in the US look like as the prices aren't too bad even with VAT and import added.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

simonbav

I made another three sill panel brackets and made up repair sections for the corroded ends, bonded in with Tiger Seal; tightened up the new sheradized steering box/bulkhead fixings and got stuck into further disassembly of my seat box.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Larry S

I have finally been able to get all four trop top roof vents sandblasted. 

I kinda like the bare metal look, but... even after sandblasting these things, I can scratch them with a fingernail and cause a shiny spot. After talking with another Rover we think these things were probably zinc coated.  That being said... if I clear coated them in a matt finish, will it adhere well enough?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to use a self-etching primer and then paint the. 

Do any of y'all have any thoughts or suggestions?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Daisythelandie

Refitted the newly painted wheels and drove it into the garage, SCREECH!!! the r/h rib on the roof scraped the top of the door frame, okay the roof of the Landie is needing a repaint anyway but why when the new tyres looked slightly smaller than the ones that came off. It could be that I didn't settle the springs after jacking up as now it clears the door frame.... Doh!

Dave. :shakinghead
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

GHOBHW

Quote from: Larry S on Mar 26, 2024, 09:26 PMI have finally been able to get all four trop top roof vents sandblasted. 

I kinda like the bare metal look, but... even after sandblasting these things, I can scratch them with a fingernail and cause a shiny spot. After talking with another Rover we think these things were probably zinc coated.  That being said... if I clear coated them in a matt finish, will it adhere well enough?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to use a self-etching primer and then paint the. 

Do any of y'all have any thoughts or suggestions?

they were zinc coated originally, no idea on paint prep though, but anything is better than nothing, seeing as they were just left with the galv/zinc finish when new. maybe even give them a thin layer of grease/wax stuff on top when done.

Serious Series

Larry S
I wonder if it is practical to zinc plate them yourself?

diffwhine

I've got a zinc playing kit - it's very easy.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Larry S

Quote from: Serious Series on Mar 27, 2024, 04:20 PMLarry S
I wonder if it is practical to zinc plate them yourself?

I have never done that before.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Space-Kook

Took it out for a test drive to make sure everything still works after hibernation.
Turns out after fitting the cab roof the door pops open while driving, made me truly appreciate the new seat belt bracket while going round the roundabout.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

simonbav

I finished my repairs to my sill panels, and the front valance, and cut and bent the piece of ali angle to repair the rear angle on my seat box. I'm pleased to see these completed. They're numerous little jobs that combine to mean the reassembly will be just that...and quick  :RHD

simonbav

Here you are, Littlelegs. I'm going to buy a big pot of paint stripper in due course and reveal the original bronze green, then maybe abrade these flush and spot paint them body colour.

Ken

After some time in the workshop with 2 pieces of angle iron and a vice a new set of seat brackets is ready for welding. I'm expecting now that someone is going to say I could have bought a new set for a few pounds !

simonbav

Quote from: Ken on Mar 29, 2024, 05:52 PMAfter some time in the workshop with 2 pieces of angle iron and a vice a new set of seat brackets is ready for welding. I'm expecting now that someone is going to say I could have bought a new set for a few pounds !

Which bits have you made from the angle iron, Ken? The upstands or the top hat sections, or maybe both?? Nice work anyhow. I've seen these going for silly money.

Old Hywel

You may have bought some for a few pounds, but where's the fun in that? :cheers-man

Daisythelandie

Checked the Landrover over today in preparation for 'Drive it Day' on the 21st April. Not been out since November, planning a wee run down the Clyde valley for lunch tomorrow and a fill up with some 'super petrol' although it has started fine with the E10 stuff which must be six months old.
Checked all the fluids and checked for leaks, checked the new tyres and pressures still okay so we are go, hope the weather stays fine. :RHD

Dave.
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.