News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Starter motor refurb?

Started by Mouse, Mar 01, 2024, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

Hi my starter needs either replacing or refurbing. If anyone has any advice on where I should send it/ buy new please let me know.
Im in Wiltshire. Should mention its a Powerlite Unit RAC 424 Petrol

Wittsend

Petrol or diesel ???

If petrol get a hi-torque WOSP type starter.

If diesel then get a 200/300 Tdi starter.

Auto Electrical Supplies - Starter Motors

Unless yours is a pristine factory spec restored example then you want an original spec starter.

Else - if yours is an everyday driver and you rely on it getting you to work then go for a more efficient and kinder on the battery hi-torque starter  :gold-cup

Alan Drover

I can vouch for the WOSP on a petrol engine. It draws only 1,400 watts, just under 117 amps, far less than a standard motor. Some rewiring is needed as it's a pre engaged starter with an integral solenoid.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Exile

As it happens, I recently had my diesel starter motor rebuit by a man in his 70's, who has been doing them for 50 years.

I mentioned the constant recommendations for more modern, or 200/300Tdi starter motors.

Without saying anything, he took me outside his workshop and pointed at a couple of these starter motors, lying in a small pile of scrap, waiting for the skip.

He also pointed out how light they weighed, compared to mine.

He then said :"Yours will last 50 years, don't change it".

I won't....

Alan Drover

They're much lighter and more compact, draw less current and are geared differently from the outdated bulky, weighty originals and they're much easier to fit. This is a rare example of modern technology being applicable to classic vehicles. I'd never go back to the old bulky starter motor now.
I suspect the 2 mentioned motors were scrap ones beyond repair or refurbishment.
Does your refurbisher have a wheel screwdriver to remove the field coils? Sounds like he ought to.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

... not forgetting there are cheapo pirated copies on eBay etc. Get starter of a decent recognised brand and it should last a very long time.

:RHD

Alan Drover

WOSP is a reputable brand.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

andyjb

If you want to keep your original starter motor I'd take it to the nearest auto electrician and ask them to refurb it.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Alan Drover on Mar 01, 2024, 08:11 PMWOSP is a reputable brand.

Alan, you've a 17H there. You'll know how you run better than me.  I assume a 17H flywheel blah, thus you get away with a pre-engage modern set-up. Best of all setups if you can get it, only I'm pretty sure yours is advice few can follow.

Mouse

Yes so I should mention its a Powerlite Unit RAC 424 Petrol

Alan Drover

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Mar 02, 2024, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Mar 01, 2024, 08:11 PMWOSP is a reputable brand.

Alan, you've a 17H there. You'll know how you run better than me.  I assume a 17H flywheel blah, thus you get away with a pre-engage modern set-up. Best of all setups if you can get it, only I'm pretty sure yours is advice few can follow.
The 17H was originally fitted with a pre engaged starter motor which was a heavy bulky item. The WOSP can be easily fitted without having to remove the downpipe.
It has a 9 tooth pinion unlike the 2.25 petrol which, from memory, has an 11 tooth pinion.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I'm learning, I run all 17H. Seems you attack this from a different direction. I know the Series starter won't mesh to a 17H. Do you run the 17H flywheel with your WOSP?

Alan Drover

Yes, and the Series 3 clutch to match the gearbox. I'm using Series 3 manifolds and Zenith 36IV. It runs very well on this set up and at a recent plug change all 4 plugs removed were an even brick red colour.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

agg221

If you do want to get your original refurbished and don't have anyone local you are happy to use then I can recommend Lancashire Rotating Electrics. Very good for starters, alternators and dynamos.

Alec

diffwhine

Hi Alec,
Great to see you back on here!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon