News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Very interesting Jenson Engined 2A LR

Started by autorover1, Mar 15, 2024, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanglasgow

Ha, I posted the same link in the workshop section at the same time. You must have a day off work too :cheers

Herald1360

Worf

"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

NoBeardNoTopKnot

What a thing! I'd love to know what all that stuff does. With air-op door-locks... well of course.

diffwhine

Normally air operated door locks or solenoid operated deadlocks are common on armoured vehicles. Both my Range Rover and One Ten in Bosnia had them. I wonder if there was something to do with VIP transport and that vehicle. Whatever way you look at it, that must have been phenominally expensive to build.

Top marks for sheer whackiness!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

autorover1

I notice it has a Worcester City registration, wonder if it was supplied by Holloways

Alan Drover

It's not had an MOT since 2005 as nothing shows on its DVLA records. I imagine that engine would be classed as a major alteration.
My Series 3 is also a WFK but its numbers precede the letters.
Anorak Alert.
FK is the only registration mark that was issued to the borough of Worcester.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

I imagine that engine would be classed as a major alteration.

Hi "Alan",

There is a "points system" for "Rebuilt or Radically ALtered Vehicles". Things such a Steering, Transmission, and  are allocated a specific number of points, which are then deducted, one by one. A vehicle that does not retain sufficient points is frowned upon.

From memory, changing the chassis will cost you so many points that it is impossible to retain the vehicles identity, leading to it being scrapped. However, fitting a NEW chassis, purchased directly from the manufacture IS permitted.

I suspect (no more than that) that a chassis that was acquired from a scrap vehicle MAY be permitted in some circumstances. Do your own GOOGLING.

From memory, fitting a different marque engine will cost you just ONE point, so somebody in Officialdom does have a heart.

There is also a concession for doing an engine swap that was not uncommon a specified number of years ago. I doubt that quoting Mr Dodd's (?) Rolls Royce car, fitted with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine, donated by an ex-RAF WW2 Spitfire, will cut much ice ... unless you know of a dozen similarly converted Rolls Royces.

I'm sure Alan can quote you "chapter and verse".  ???

w3526602

PS ..

I believe Rolls Royce Merlin engines developed 3000 horse power, but probably at unusably low RPM.  Broken half-shafts may be a problem.

Dream on!

PS. 06.42hrs. Yet again, my ladies have arrived.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

It's the whole 'Professor Pat Pending' thing. I have no idea what or why the thing exists, but I love it.  I will be watching YT for the next installment. Would love to see it in the flesh.

richardhula

Jensen didn't make engines, for the  CV8 and later Intercepter they bought in Chrysler big block V8's from the USA. The 6.3 litre 383 for the CV8 and later Intercepter producing 335 gross bhp, most mated to Chrysler Torqueflite auto trans. The engine with 10.5:1 CR required 100+ octane fuel (5* at the time). When Chrysler detuned the 383 to run on lower octane fuel Jensen bought in the 7.2 litre 440 in 1971 to maintain the power.

Engine in the CV8 I owned in the early 70's showing Carter AFB four barrel carb.

Regards, Richard

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Ah, Shirley Eaton (of gold-paint Bond girl fame) lived one street away from my childhood home. Owned a CV8. Plate must be worth £200,000 alone today. Before personal plates were a thing she had the plate SE7.

GlenAnderson

I have been following Mr Hewes for a while. I'm quite jealous of that 109" as a find. I think it would be a great project to take on. 👍