News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Sun visor panel

Started by diffwhine, Mar 17, 2024, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Searching through some of my useful bits spirited away today, I came across the panel which goes across the top of the windscreen. My one on my 1965 SWB SW is two different panels split in the middle. This one is full width - one panel. The cutouts at the ends are also slightly different to my SWB version.

Anybody know what age/variant this one might be off?

Secondly does anybody recognise the actual sunvisors? Are they original or off something period? I'm thinking of restoring them and using them on my SW rebuild.

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

They look similar to the one I got from Calum Barrow a while ago so I would think they are original

Peter

simonbav

Would you mind posting a picture of the rear please Mark. My SW is missing that bit and I may need to make one.

1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

GHOBHW

split ones are for SWB, single for LWB

no idea why though! :RHD

diffwhine

Did the LWB ones have a trim section running along above the door? It seems the SWB ones did not - hence the different profile. Why the SWB ones are not one piece makes no sense to me either. Dimensionally all is the same unless there is that above door trim issue. The cutaway profile is definitely different to the SWB.

I'll take a picture of the rear next time I'm in the store and post.

Thanks all!

GHOBHW

appears they did have the head trim going all the way along, unlike the SWB ones, so I guess thats the profile reason.

reason for splitting is still off, unless they did it so they didn't get mixed up with parts or something ???

diffwhine

That makes sense.
I plan to keep the actual sunvisors and the light, but if anybody wants the panel itself, drop me a PM. I'll happily let it go for a donation to Medecins Sans Frontiers.

autorover1

The single panel (334116) is shown in my 1965 option parts book for Truck cabs  .A similar  single part(331607) is shown in my similar age Parts book for 109 station wagon , the 88" SW is shown as  a two piece.   . The two piece is perhaps  easier to fit in some circumstances . The visors and the fixing look very similar to the Rover P6 Visors

whitehillbilly64

Front door cards match the rear also.
Probably get some colour photos of my mates very original, 78 S3, SWB if interested.

whitehillbilly

Exile

Can we switch to discussing the position of the interior light?

On 109" Station Wagons it is usually above the rear of the front seats, as seen in GHOBW's photo.

I thought it was the same in 88's - so is this a PO's alteration?

GHOBHW

looks like a PO mod, was in the same position, on the roof, on all station wagon models. the roof has its very own bracket for it

both 88" in the pictures (ignore the drop down table in the second one, if you can!)

simonbav

I like that table! Do any club members have one they can share photos of please?
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

GHOBHW

Quote from: simonbav on Mar 19, 2024, 07:19 AMI like that table! Do any club members have one they can share photos of please?

I'd also be very interested if anyone has one in their land rover.

mine used to have one when in GPO service (like the ones in the image) but got removed before it got sold off.

I know what basics it should have, just don't know how the drop feature worked. my roof still has bits left behind from it.

Craig T

That is a slightly different shape to my 109" station wagon panel at the ends. I don't have any photos though of the panel out the vehicle to show you.

109" SW did indeed get the padded rails along the roof gutters. The front screen trim panel screws to these at the ends. The 109" panels are in one piece.  I thought the 88" panels fit above and below the roof gutters so if it was one piece, it would be hard to fit so they split it into two? The padded side rails on the 109" cover the area above the gutter so the screen trim only sits underneath the gutter.

The interior light may have bene moved by a previous owner but it looks like it's sitting on a trimmed block of timber? Maybe that is a truck cab thing? The same interior light in my SW is mounted behind the front seats on the roof reinforcing strip but the mounting bracket is a spot welded specific bracket for the light. Standard roofs didn't get the light bracket.

Best guess from me is it's a truck cab version, maybe series 3 looking at the sun visors and the rear view mirror style.

Craig.