News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Nice new Old Stuff

Started by Dopey, Mar 20, 2024, 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dopey

Nice when you open and old package....You cannot view this attachment.

Peter Holden

I have some bits in MOD packing for my spreadbore engine.

Peter

Craig T

PA Blanchards were the main suppliers of the engine bits for my series one and most of the bits I got from them were packed in 1956 / 57 and I was fitting them into a 1955 engine.
It seemed a shame to open them up to be honest. The packing was done so well it must have taken someone ages to wrap every part, tie a label onto it, fill every void in the box with rolled up cardboard then seal the box and print the labels.

Only downside to the old parts was getting the brown wax like substance off them. It was pretty hard after all these years, working in a cold garage and if the parts had oil drillings or threads, you really had to work at it to clean everything off!

Craig.

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Mar 21, 2024, 08:48 AMOnly downside to the old parts was getting the brown wax like substance off them. It was pretty hard after all these years, working in a cold garage and if the parts had oil drillings or threads, you really had to work at it to clean everything off!

Craig.

Been there, done that Craig.

When I wonder where my life went, I realise it was spent getting that damn stuff off of (and out of) a myriad of ex-MOD parts.

I have even saved some of that thick grease into a small tin, for occasional re-use.

diffwhine

I fitted an original Rover Rialko bush conversion kit recently and that had the swivel pins in a sort of hard wax. It was really easy to remove - just cut a slit and peel it off. On the other hand, I had a 1952 gearbox part from Cradock which had about an inch thick layer of congealed grease on it. Even fresh petrol struggled to get that off. I can empathise with Exile on this one.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

It is not just Land Rover nice new old stuff.

I found two of these new covers for the alloy-fronted regulator box, found on diesels. This one is for SI and very early SII.

And don't sniff at Unipart boxes (or parts) as these are getting less common too. The second photo is of the rear door buffer that appeared on late SIII County Station Wagons, and some very early One Ten Station Wagons.

So rare, you will do well to find a part number.

Craig T

Quote from: diffwhine on Mar 21, 2024, 05:12 PMI fitted an original Rover Rialko bush conversion kit recently and that had the swivel pins in a sort of hard wax. It was really easy to remove - just cut a slit and peel it off.

The tool making company I did my apprenticeship with had a machine for doing that coating. It was a heated tub a bit like a deep fat fryer and it heated big oily, wax blocks into a thick liquid and you dipped the parts in it then hang them up to cool above it. We used it for coating mould tool spares before they were shipped or put into storage for future use.

We had to install a lock on the lid of the tub after someone had their packed lunch wax dipped one day....  :))

Craig.

jonhutchings

Quote from: Craig T on Mar 22, 2024, 09:48 AM
Quote from: diffwhine on Mar 21, 2024, 05:12 PMI fitted an original Rover Rialko bush conversion kit recently and that had the swivel pins in a sort of hard wax. It was really easy to remove - just cut a slit and peel it off.

The tool making company I did my apprenticeship with had a machine for doing that coating. It was a heated tub a bit like a deep fat fryer and it heated big oily, wax blocks into a thick liquid and you dipped the parts in it then hang them up to cool above it. We used it for coating mould tool spares before they were shipped or put into storage for future use.

We had to install a lock on the lid of the tub after someone had their packed lunch wax dipped one day....  :))

Craig.
reminds me of an F1 company I went to visit many years back not long after they had had new carbon fibre ovens installed. Everything  in the design office next door was made of carbon fibre, including dustpan, pedal bin, in trays for paperwork :D