News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

What happened to Gunk?

Started by diffwhine, Mar 20, 2024, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile

Well I suppopse it all makes sense, but I have hardly ever worn gloves when working on machinery.

My hands have got covered in everything from old oil, paint thinners, neat xylene, and gallons and gallons of creosote, to body filler which has cured on my fingers.

I now can't sleep at night, worrying that I might die before I am fifty...... :) 

Richard

Ah yes, the my-father-smoked-a-pouch-of-Zware-Van-Nelle-per-day-and-drank-a-pint-of-Gunk-before-dinner-and-he's-97-now-still-chasing-the-lady's-argument :cool 

I'm happy for you your hands survived the ordeal, but research into occupational exposure and cancer incidence does seem to suggest there is a correlation. I know, there's lies, damned lies and statistics, but proper statistics don't lie.

Richard
'64 S2a

Gareth

You could get Gunk until fairly recently in Halfords. I had a 5 litre tin when I restored the 88 3 years ago.

It must have been the genuine article because after 'gunking' the crap off the engine, and washing it off on the driveway it did a great job in killing all the moss that was covering the paves!

The smell lasted quite a while. I wasn't popular with the wife or neighbours.

malcolm

All the good stuff is either banned or for commercial use only, probably for the best for future generations.
The damage is done for the oldies best not to think back what i have done renovating old houses cars,certainly didn't bother before with latex gloves those were for doctors.