News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Filling up

Started by Countryview, Mar 22, 2024, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Countryview

Is it just me, or does anyone else have petrol running down the rear tub every time they fill up at the petrol station? No matter how careful I am or how slowly I pump the petrol, I always seem to fill up too much! Is there a special knack to it that I'm missing??
1959 88" Series 2

Wittsend

Listen ... you should hear the "gurgling" as the fuel starts up the filler pipe - then stop.

:petrol-pump

Alan Drover

I can fill mine right to the filler cap. When it starts to blow back I rock the vehicle to shift the air which, despite having the vent pipe in the right place, always blows back. There are no leaks and after driving a mile or 2 the fuel in the filler tube is gone.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Make sure the air breather pipe is not kinked.

:RHD

andyjb

I put some E5 stuff in mine today. And price it is I can't afford to spill any.

Countryview

Thanks all...I obviously need to open my ears and press the trigger less!
1959 88" Series 2

island dormy

I have better luck not overflowing the tank if I leave the handy dandy extendable filler spout in the down position.
But you still have to quickly manually shut it off as soon as the petrol starts up the spout. The automatic feature on the pump handle does not seem to work very good with the big wide filler neck.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Genocache

My 109 takes diesel. I leave the filler tube down and slowly fill 'cause the fuel foams A LOT! I have to do it by hand and believe me it takes some time. It helps to know how much I need to put in. As Alan says; listen to the vent tube "glugging", I usually fill to the bottom of the filler tube. Diesel is $5.69gl in my neck of the woods. :confused 

island dormy

Diesel is $7.20 per Canadian gallon up here.
 Premium is $9.90 per Canadian gallon. :'(

Victor

Richard

Quote from: island dormy on Mar 23, 2024, 07:19 PMI have better luck not overflowing the tank if I leave the handy dandy extendable filler spout in the down position.
But you still have to quickly manually shut it off as soon as the petrol starts up the spout. The automatic feature on the pump handle does not seem to work very good with the big wide filler neck.

Victor
Same here. First times around the petrol just squirted from the filler neck. As if the jet coming from the nozzle is to powerful for the tank and filler neck configuration. I used the extension once, and ended up with a mess. I now fill up 'at half throttle', until it starts to gurgle, then stop.
Glad to know it's not me :cool

Richard
'64 S2a

Genocache

Quote from: island dormy on Mar 23, 2024, 09:31 PMDiesel is $7.20 per Canadian gallon up here.
 Premium is $9.90 per Canadian gallon. :'(

Victor

While still too high that's the way it should be, diesel lower $. Here Diesel is $5.69USD and premium $4.79USD.  $7.20CDN = $5.29USD =4.19GBP

island dormy

Hi Genocache

It varies here all the time 2 weeks ago diesel was more than petrol. It see-saws all the time.

Victor