News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Refreshing my wiper post

Started by Bigdog, Mar 23, 2024, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

You need to check and see if the motor is running the drive cable through full travel. If it is, your wiper motor may not have the right drive gear fitted. Open it up and operate it with the cable attached and see what is happening.
I have one of those wiper motors here, so if you get really stuck, I might be able to help.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

Ideal, I will try and check it tomorrow

Wittsend

Having learnt from another post that yours is a 1970 model then in no way should it be having a Lucas DR3 wiper motor.
I suspect someone has been "playing".
Someone could have fitted an earlier bulkhead with the DR3 wipers ???
Seems a lot of trouble to retro fit DR3 wiper motor to a later bulkhead, but who knows.

I have no idea if these 2 wiper motors are interchangeable. It could explain why you are not getting a proper sweep of the screen.
That you have those green/red & green/brown wires is very strong evidence that your once had the correct Lucas 14W round bodied wiper motor at least as far as the wiring loom is concerned.

This means that the control cable to each wiper spindle via the gear boxes could well be the wrong part for the wiper motor you have  :shakinghead

Remove the wiper motor and work the cable. Do the wiper blades give a good arc of sweep across each screen ???

Could be the wiper gearboxes are gunged up with solid grease ???

Could be the wiper motor is gunged up.

Without pics it's hard to know what parts you have.

As it's a 1970 model my thoughts would be to fit the correct wiper motor, i.e. the Lucas 14W.
But the problem is knowing what the PO has done  :confused

It's a pity you are so far away, as a site inspection of what you have would settle the matter and lead to way forward.

Bigdog

I had believed it was the correct wiper motor for a 1970 ex military one, I had replaced the wiring loom which where the confusion is with wire codes

Bigdog

Here is my wipers working, I have noticed they are loose where they connect, I can pull them off easily so will look into that, I have now cleaned the windscreen 😂, just noticed I can't post a video

Wittsend

You'll need to host your video somewhere in the cloud!

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Wittsend on Mar 25, 2024, 02:33 PMYou'll need to host your video somewhere in the cloud!

Or upload it to YouTube and then link it to here.