News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Steering wheel Glove

Started by Oilyrag921, Mar 24, 2024, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oilyrag921

Is it possible to still buy a leather steering wheel glove like the ones that used to be commonly seen in accessory shops, like Harry Moss, Paddy Hopkirk types?  The ones I see on ebay look more like for modern thick rim wheels.
Last time I bought one was as a young man in the early 1980's, I'm also toying with the idea of making one out of bits from an old leather jacket although the stitching looks a bit challenging.
Thanks.

Wittsend

As an S2C member look in the members' discounts section for KR Classics.

OR look on eBay, search for "classic car steering wheel covers" - scroll down, they are there.

For example ... Steering Wheel Cover   :ebay

For info the Land Rover wheel is 17" diameter.

To make a good job of stitching/fitting such a cover it is best to remove the wheel and work inside  :gold-cup

:RHD

Exile

Quote from: Wittsend on Mar 24, 2024, 10:27 PMTo make a good job of stitching/fitting such a cover it is best to remove the wheel and work inside  :gold-cup

Not sure I agree with this Alan.

With all the pulling and tugging involved, it is good to have the steering wheel anchored on something.

Like the steering column.

geoff

whitehillbilly64

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I had a ripped leather steering wheel on my high-miler Eurobox - it'd gone sticky and v.unpleasant. Until I found a near new wheel at a breaker, it was temp. fix. I see we're keen on them for Series use, My wheel-rim is  good, do they go v.bad?

Alan Drover

I've had them go horribly dirty and sticky and the coating comes off on your hands.
Many years ago I ordered a new one from Dunsfold. It had a much thicker rim than standard and after all the years I've had it the coating stays on.
This is for a Series 3.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

I have a brand new late type LR Genuine Parts Series 3 steering wheel with the thicker rim. If anybody might want one, let me know.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Oilyrag921

Thanks, the custom steering ones look good, and not a bad price either. I do recall that fitting one takes a while but once it's on it's on for good then, the last one has been on my other car over 40 years!

Oddjob

Quote from: diffwhine on Mar 27, 2024, 11:34 AMI have a brand new late type LR Genuine Parts Series 3 steering wheel with the thicker rim. If anybody might want one, let me know.

That sounds tempting but I expect it's a bit out of my budget! Have you a worn out scuffed up one?!
I like the diameter of the standard wheel but do find it a bit thin to grip when trying to parallel park. The leather covers do help with this. Often considered adding a second cover to bulk it up a bit.

:RHD

jkhackney

??? I have a pair of leather construction gloves on my parcel shelf.

It surprises me how the bigger-ness of the grip on the rim really does make you stronger for challenging that steering resistance, whether gloves or a wheel cover.

-Jeremy

PS- my wheel had gone sticky and left black on my hands until a quick cleanse with terpentine and a few coats of Hammerite shiny black. This has peeled/flaked off a bit in 15 years and is due for a repeat soon, but even where it's come off, there's no residue on my hands anymore.