News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Sidelight

Started by JohnR2, Mar 25, 2024, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR2

I need to replace a missing sidelight glass - I think this is probably a wipac plastic one although the only ones I can see on the web are slightly different (not as conical and with squarer bolt holes. Would this be right for early '58?

island dormy

Hi John

Sorry this is the closet picture I have of my 62s front lights, (north American spec)
 The clear glass marker light on the 62 is glass and its flat it takes a small 5 watt bayonet style clear bulb.
 If you look close you will also see that the chrome ring is held in place with 2 small screws on each side.
 Later on the screw type covers were eliminated and the lens where held in by the rubber ring.

If you have to remove the lens make sure the rubber ring is warm (a hair dryer works good) use a plastic tool not a metal screwdriver.....or youll be sorry.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

island dormy

Hi John

Here are a few fresh pictures. The Marine Blue Rover is a 62, the Limestone is a 69 Nada and came with clear glass lenses instead of the 62s orange and clear.
 You can see the 69 has no screws holding the chrome cover in place.

I'm sure there were other versions as well.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

malcolm

Mine is 1960 and has the same Lucas lights as island dormys 62.
The benefit is the there is no metal to metal contact as the lights screw into a plastic grommet

Herald1360

Looks like at least that sidelight lens is wrong for a '58!

I suspect you should have one of these.

It also needs a chrome retaining ring (which I don't have) and of course may not fit the light unit you have depending on what any DPO has been up to!

Peter Holden

1958 sidelight should either be a Sparto or a Lucas L488.

My May 58 has Lucas L488 lights (I only have one each side as Iuse combined stop and tail fittings which allow me to include the flasher)

Sparto lights are very expensive

Peter