News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Hinge pins!

Started by Kev-Lar, Mar 26, 2024, 07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev-Lar

Morning all, I'm wanting to change the standard hinges on my series 2 for the military mirror mount type but have found that the pin is not long enough to go through far enough to get the spring, washer and nut on and all replacement kits have a standard 60mm pin, any ideas where I can get a longer pin kit.  :hinges

diffwhine

Let me check - I may have some longer ones. I found a bag of hinge pin overhaul kits at the weekend and some were longer. How many would you need? I can't check until late tomorrow or Thursday though.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

I've had a look and I'm afraid all my hinge pin kits are 60mm so standard length. No long ones lurking in there. If anybody needs and standard door hinge overhaul kits, let me know via a pm - I've got a fair few here. Some are LR Genuine, but most are County ones. To be honest they look identical to me.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Robin

Are these new pin kits in blue bags?
I've found that the springs in blue-bag hinge pin kits are too long and probably too strong so it's really difficult to compress the spring enough to get the washer & nut on.
I think others have also reported the same.

If the old spring is still in reasonable condition I usually use that with a new pin, or cut a bit off the end of the new spring to shorten it.

Another problem is that sometimes the old spring breaks up and leaves part of the spring in the pin hole, so the new spring doesn't go far enough into the hole.

Robin.

Kev-Lar

I can't remember if they were in blue bags or not as they've been on for years but the spring is quite long, and in good nick so I don't really want to cut it down.