News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Wiper blade position

Started by Bigdog, Mar 26, 2024, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Does this position for the wiper blades look correct, or is there an exact position they should be in as most series i see they are in all different positions

Twomokes

The correct position for the later twin wiper setup when in the off position is horizontal along the bottom of the screen. The earlier individual wiper motors are different.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

Bigdog

This is where they seem to finish up when switched off 🤷�♂️🙈😂

autorover1

I believe the park cam in the motor is set wrong, I seem to recollect it can be altered , but its a long time since I had one apart. Others may know better

Craig T

That can also be caused by someone assembling the wheelboxes the cable runs in the incorrect way around on the cable.

From memory the cable should leave the wiper motor and go to the top of the left hand wheelbox. The cable then steps down to go to the bottom of the right side wheelbox.
In the parked position they should both be flat at the bottom of the screen like my one pictured below.

Craig.

Bigdog

Perfect, lovely series 👍

Larry S

Quote from: Craig T on Mar 27, 2024, 12:51 PMThat can also be caused by someone assembling the wheelboxes the cable runs in the incorrect way around on the cable.

From memory the cable should leave the wiper motor and go to the top of the left hand wheelbox. The cable then steps down to go to the bottom of the right side wheelbox.
In the parked position they should both be flat at the bottom of the screen like my one pictured below.

Craig.

So the only way to get the wipers in the position in your pic is via a single motor?  I'd like to get Grover's to be like those, but never could figure out how to do it with the FW2 motors.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

diffwhine

From memory, in order to enable wipers to park towards the lower centre of the screen on vehicle with a single wiper motor, the cable goes over the top of the wheelbox on the left hand side and under the wheel box on the right hand side. The wheelboxes are positioned accordingly. On Defenders, both wheel boxes are orientated the same way so both wipers sweep together rather than as a mirror image.

All should be easily confirmed and by simple manually operating the drive cable, both wipers should be able to be driven to the parked position. You then need to look at your wiper motor and see how much of an arc the unit is delivering. Your connection to the drive cable to wipers and motor should be done having ensured that your motor is in the park position and then all connected. The fundamental issue here is that your vehicle should have the later wiper motor and wiring. Clearly this wiper motor is not set up properly or you would not have these positioning problems. The correct wiper motor as a new unit is cheap so an easy solution. I'm sure we can find the clamp and rubber mounts if you don't have them. However... If you replace the wiper motor for the correct one, the replacement ones do not usually come with the main gear wheel in the wiper motor and you are expected to transfer your old one. I can only guess that this is because this gear differs depending on application, so its cheapest to do it this way. For obvious reasons, even if it does fit, I would not use the one out of the existing wipe motor in case it is the wrong spec or for another application.  You could just ask on here if anybody has a wiper motor they would spare and start fresh.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Old Hywel

I think the gear wheel is marked with degrees rotation.

autorover1

Depending on the motor, some have a plastic ramp fitted to the main gear that snaps into various holes on the underside . This ramp operates the park switch on the motor. I believe it can be fitted in two positions depending on which end of the stroke the park is needed. By repositioning the ramp 180 degrees round the gear, the park  position will be reversed.  It certainly is on the permanent magnet motors . The clip below shows the gear and the holes 180 degrees round from the fitted ramp
See https://youtu.be/NM-PzQo7qNA

Wittsend

Interesting video ... now added to our section for YouTube vids.

However ... our original poster has the earlier Lucas DR3 motor - totally different.

Given that a 1970 vehicle should have the later Lucas 14W wiper setup one wonders just what bodge the PO has done  :confused

Have they mated a DR3 to the later wiper mechanism ?
Are they compatible ?
Looking at the wiper position and sweep probably not.

The 14W motors have the sweep angle stamped on the big motor's gear wheel - usually 110° or 115° being the sweep you get across the screen.

I don't suppose the PO is around to ask if the wipers ever did work properly before the vehicle was left to fester.

As I keep posting/asking ... a decent picture of the DR3 as fixed to the bulkhead and how it is connected to the wiper actuation cable would be very revealing.

Without seeing those pictures I am still of the opinion that the best solution here is to source and fit the correct Lucas 14W wiper motor along with the late 2A wiper control cable and gear boxes ???

:screen

Twomokes

The DR3 and 14W setups are different, the wheelboxes are different as well I suspect the gearbox and wheelboxes should be matched to get the correct arc.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

diffwhine

A quick check of parts book confirms that the drive cable and the wheelboxes are different for each wiper motor type...
As I suggested above - isn't this the time to start fresh with the correct parts and do it properly?

Bigdog

So is it this motor that is the correct one, I bought one of these as I thought the DR3A was faulty

diffwhine

It looks right to me. Did you buy a new one or second hand?  A photo would help.