News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Brand New FW2 Wiper Motors Seen Today

Started by James Ham, Mar 27, 2024, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Ham

Today a chap a few garages up from me showed me his brand new FW2 wiper motors.  Only trouble is they're 24V as he and his family were involved in ex-military stuff for many years.  They were in original packaging, at least one unopened.

They seem to be available for sale s they're not handling Land Rovers any more, but he didn't seem in a rush to sell them either.  Are there many people running ex-military series 2s on 24V?

diffwhine

If anybody does buy them, I would strongly recommend that the gearboxes are stripped and regressed. The new one I dug up a few weeks ago was as solid as a rock inside.

Somebody may be able to rewind them as 12 volt units for wider apppeal.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GlenAnderson

I agree with the sentiment that they will need stripping and re-greasing.

It's easy enough to swap the 24v armatures for 12v ones from otherwise scrap motors. Similarly, if you didn't want them, taking off the interference suppression boxes and opening the casings up to take the unsuppressed terminals isn't difficult.

Peter Holden

I did as Glen has suggested a number of years ago when i aquired a brand new 24v wiper still in all its MOD protection.  It means that my drivers wiper works properly and on the scale of land rover jobs is is quite a minor task.  The hardest part is getting the set grease out of the gearbox

Peter

malcolm

On the subject of FW2 motors does anyone know the colour of the Champagne type colour of paint used on the casing.
I had a can bought many years ago which seemed a good match but can't find it.
Seem to recall it was maybe old Ford or Vauxhall metallic colour.

Avalon

Quote from: diffwhine on Mar 27, 2024, 10:47 PMIf anybody does buy them, I would strongly recommend that the gearboxes are stripped and regressed. The new one I dug up a few weeks ago was as solid as a rock inside.

Somebody may be able to rewind them as 12 volt units for wider apppeal.

What is the most suitable/ best grease to use?

diffwhine

I found a type of Shell Gradex was closest to the original spec. I can't remember exactly which one, but I found a UK eBay supplier who supplies all manner of this sort of lubricant in small manageable volumes. "lubefinder" comes to mind. Lots of googling and eventually I worked out what was the closest to the original spec in the manual. If I remember, I'll dig out the pot and post the info.

One of the refurbishers I would assume could advise. There's somebody on eBay and on here who supplies parts and refurbishes them.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon