News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2a Light Weight- correct forum?

Started by Seanlandy, Mar 28, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

Hello all. I have just bought a series 2a light weight and am trying to find forums that may be able to help as I follow a path of discovery on the vehicle. I was pointed to this forum. Are there many light weight owners who may be able to share their stories and woes and help a new owner? Thanks

Theshed

Welcome to the Forum. There will be many similarities that folk will help with.
And lots of differences that will get you answers also.

Wittsend

&  to the Forum.

Quite a few LWTs are in the club and we have a few owners on this forum.

I for one, own a good restored 2A LWT (1969) from the 1st MoD contract batch  :gold-cup

(Snow from 2022 winter)

Seanlandy

Thanks both. Mine is a 1969 in need of a good degree of tlc to get it back to something like, but hopefully with the help of guys like you I can find info I may require.

Lovely example Wittsend.

fv1620

Clive Elliott

Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.

Seanlandy

Thanks. I have posted a message on that forum but it doesn't seem that active. May be I wait and ask more specific questions

fv1620

Sean I am a mod on there but I assume you are using a different name as I can't find you. I've looked through the unanswered posts for the last year but can't see a post that looks like it might be you.

Bear in mind new member's posts are moderated as we get heavily spammed. So sometimes there can be a delay before a post appears. Did your post actually appear as a thread?

A good way to attract attention is to post some photos and yes a specific question rather than just "looking for help". Giving your location & asking if any members nearby because you want to photo or measure something might get a response.
Clive Elliott

Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.

diffwhine

It's not as active as here, but there is a lot of useful knowledge there.

There are quite a few 2A Lightweight owners in this club and on here. I had one which I had to sell as a project last year. The knowledge is here as well and I kept extensive photos of my one in strip down and partial rebuild.

I think you will find that between the Land Rover Series 2 Club and the Military Lightweight forum, you will be well served.

Also, if you haven't already got it, Mark Cook's book on the Half Ton Air Portable is considered the authority on this model and well worth getting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Ton-Military-Land-Rover/dp/1903706963
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

fv1620

Yes agreed well worth getting as the authoritative reference. I supplied some info & photos, in fact I took the photo on the front cover. Strangely the publishers obscured the registration plate, but it was an in-service vehicle I spotted at Bovington.

An adjunct to this is good fun that also covers some Sankey trailers. A batch were bought for Military Lightweight members. Rather expensive to import as a single copy. But you might find a second-hand copy. It is dual language as it was written by an Italian (and me).

https://shop.duccieditore.com/index.php?id_product=24&rewrite=land-rover-half-ton-sankey-trailer&controller=product&id_lang=3

You cannot view this attachment.
Clive Elliott

Space-Kook

If you're looking for research there's also some bits and pieces on https://hmvf.co.uk/, especially by a user named Ruxley, very friendly and helped me a lot.
They don't focus on Land Rovers though and it's best if you know what you're looking for.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Seanlandy

Thank you all. I am pleased to be in the right place.
I shall certainly be looking at getting as much literature as possible. It's still nice to thumb a book.
SV1620. I am not sure what you mean by different name. I only registered yesterday. 

I hope to get the vehicle to mine next week. Here's poor photo with also a chassis number albeit psrtly obscured.

fv1620

Quote from: Seanlandy on Mar 29, 2024, 07:07 AMI have posted a message on that forum but it doesn't seem that active. May be I wait and ask more specific questions

Sorry Sean if I misunderstood but from what you said above I assumed you had posted a message and were disappointed that you had no response.
Clive Elliott

Seanlandy

Am I being thick?  How do I attach photos. I cant see an option.  Not on my phone anyway. Thanks

Serious Series

Make sure your using reply not quick reply to attach photo's.
Should be a box where you can add photos by dragging them there or click the box and select.as in image

Seanlandy

I will try on my laptop. Can't even see the reply option.