News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Whose brake pipe kit?

Started by JohnR2, Apr 01, 2024, 09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR2

I need to replace my pipes ('58) I know from buying them for my mini that some ready-made pipe sets can be variable in length, who do people recommend for accurate lengths?
John

Ratty2A

Automec are the common supplier. Sure there are others - especially on eBay.

I tried one in the past (I think it was Automec) and found it very close but not bang on - the problem i found was that when buying non-pre-bent lengths, DIY formed bends are rarely identical to consistent jig bends and as such no two home builders will need precisely the same length.

On subsequent builds, I've made my own. Depends on what you're looking for I guess - preformed takes away the hassle of adding unions, home made let's you be more precise and is cheaper, but you have to be confident with a good flaring tool.

I'd I remember correctly, Wittsend posted a nice annotated brake pipe drawing some years ago that had all the lengths on it if you wanted to check a kit.

AlexB

In the members section we get a discount from a supplier, but I can't remember who it is

Wittsend

As if by magic ...

There is a 3rd option.
Some really good car accessory/motor sort shops will make you up brake pipes While-U-Wait.

Years ago it was £1 per foot of pipe and £1 for the fittings.

Even more years ago there was a motor factors in Coalville (near where we lived at the time) who had a rack of brake pipes (with fittings) of a range of sizes, going up in say, 3" intervals. You then bent them as required when fitting to the vehicle.

Pre-folded pipes are OK if you are fitting to a naked chassis, but a right pain to fit when all the body panels are in place.

:teacher
However you do it and from whatever source - squirt brake cleaner down the new pipe(s) and then give a blast of compressed air - to shift any muck and debris out.

:brakes