What have you done with your Series 2 today ?

Started by Wittsend, Apr 01, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

Took out the horrible car seats, removed the tank from the rear tub and cleaned up the rear bumperettes. Then pondered all the chassis welding. Great! But the sun was out, so not all bad.

andyjb

Nothing special, just a tip run and charity shop run.

Davy61

Took the land rover out for another menure and hay run.
Then proceeded to introduce our 4 month old son to the wonderful world of Land Rovers :gold-cup
You can't start em young enough😁
-Davy,,

Seanlandy

Took the grinder to the chassis to clean up. And the hole got bigger. Shocker!!!

diffwhine

It can't be as bad as mine was and I still managed to save it... It took a lot of steel! I actually wore out one MIG welder.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Ah. It's already had outriggers at some point. They will need doing again at sooner than later. I can see there will end up being more plate than original. As a matter of interest. What size steel. I was thinking 2mm. Bit easier to work with. MIG should do the job. Shouldn't have to resort to oxy acet.

diffwhine

A good MIG and .8mm wire worked well for me. For the main rail repairs I think I used 2.5mm, but I can't actually remember.

simonbav

With the help of my mate Bill (who's recently acquired a '53 Rover P4) bashed about half the remaining solid rivets necessary for completion of my rear tub repairs. Pinch me. One of these spring days the bugger's going to be running!
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

GHOBHW

fixed/solved a few stupid issues thats been around since I rebuilt it.

wobbly dipstick, replaced with a spare I had, the olive on the old one was beyond gone

renewed the injector pipe rubbers, that hold them together/anti rattle

made a rubber pad out of old innertube for the oil bath to sit on, so it isn't metal on metal.

made it so the door actually shuts properly, now I can literally push it with 1 finger, very lightly and it shuts perfect. better result than I expected with that one.

and finally redid the lift pump using whatever spares I had laying around, had a new one laying around, but it has the glass bowl on it for the early diesels, so I used the old top on the new bottom, result. no more air leak/oil/diesel mixing from the rotten diaphragm. started up better than ever too! - some previous owner decided to do away with the studs and nuts system and installed alan key bolts that were far too long. so I put studs back in from a spare plate I had.

not bad for about 5 hours work and never getting rid of anything saved me again :cheers-man

Alan Drover

Collected replacement microwave this morning. The young salesman who loaded it was impressed with the Land Rover and when I told him it is a 1975 one he said it's older than his parents.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Oddjob

Yesterday i finally got round to replacing my front diff after we suffered with intermittent clunks from the front when in low range during last years trip to Spain
The good news is that with the help of little Isaac and a nice neighbours driveway we got it done in about 6 hours.
The bad news is the diff we took out seemed fine 🤦

Craig T

Was a lovely day here Saturday so got her out the garage again after winter hibernation.
Gave the fuel pump a few good pumps until the carb was full, choke out, span over a few times and fired right up.

Hopefully next weekend I'll check over the gearbox and diff oil levels and will then be ready for a camping weekend after that.

Craig.

Bloke

You could eat your dinner off that Craig! Lovely.

Took mine out for another short test drive to check all the drive-train and brakes. All working smoothly so ready for the bodywork to come off for paint.

1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Peter Holden

I haven't done anything with YOD today but I did collect some parts from our club chairman on my way back to Lancahire from our trip to France.  He is awash with series parts at the moment and he is selling them at a very advantageous price.  If you need anything then just message Diffwhine first

Peter

diffwhine

And he bribed me with a bottle of lovely French brandy... Great to see you Peter.