Main Menu

Almost done

Started by Bigdog, Apr 11, 2024, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Well I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, almost ready now

Exile

I like that. :cheers-man

I am no expert on ex-mil Land Rovers, so I'm asking :  Were there  many lights-in-the-wing military 109" late IIA's?

I just don't recall seeing that many....

Bigdog

Hi, not sure but it's a 1970 and I think that's when they changed to the wings

nathanglasgow

A fair few Rover 11s were in service. Lifted from EMLRA website
"Rover 11 was 109" SIIA from 1967 to 1971 (Truck ¾ Ton). Confusingly, the 88" SIIA Lightweight was initially classed as Rover Mk I. In 1968, Rover I was a IIA Lightweight and, to further confuse the issue, it was referred to as a Rover Mk I or Rover 1 – they re-used the "1" designation previously given to the 1,600cc Series One 80". Then the Series III came along in 1971, and was known as Rover Series Three.Truck ½ Ton."

22900013A

Quote from: Bigdog on Apr 11, 2024, 06:14 PMHi, not sure but it's a 1970 and I think that's when they changed to the wings

Not quite. The first factory lamps in wings were built in Q4 of 1968 for export,mainly to north America and the BeNeLux states. These were the so called bugeye models, quickly produced to comply with local laws. In the background the properly designed wing fronts were being designed, and these were being fitted to vehicles for all markets by March of 1969.
As they were only in production for a little over 2 1/2 years they were never common in either civilian or military circles.

Exile

Quote from: 22900013A on Apr 12, 2024, 12:17 PMAs they were only in production for a little over 2 1/2 years they were never common in either civilian or military circles.

That is certainly my perception.

Bigdog

So have I the wrong wings

diffwhine

Not necessarily. It was very common for the military to upgrade the headlight / wing layout to meet operational requirements in Europe - Germany in particular. If vehicles were rebuilt for any reason, it was common to change to the "Series 3" layout. Anyway - does it matter? I see no reason why the military would not have taken the later spec wing configuration. Somebody who knows more than me may be able to confirm from the various military contracts of that period.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Ratty2A

I've got an ex mod SIIA 109 (actually built 1st March 1972, so well into SIII production, was the last chassis number of the final MOD ordered batch) and it has lights in the wings. There were quite a few Suffix-G type SIIAs in military service according to James Taylor's books on the subject and plenty of period pics around to support.

BigDog. If it's a 1970 build then I see no reason why your wings/lights wouldn't be correct, but there are more knowledgable folk on the forum.

Congratulations on getting to this stage buddy. Quite a milestone.

22900013A

Quote from: Bigdog on Apr 13, 2024, 09:38 PMSo have I the wrong wings

No not at all.
Yours is a 1970, right? Lamps moved to the wings in 1969...

Exile

Quote from: Bigdog on Apr 13, 2024, 09:38 PMSo have I the wrong wings

No Bigdog, I wasn't suggesting yours had the wrong wings, more that it might be "relatively" uncommon.

Bloke

Looking good! I know you've put a lot of work into getting it back on the road and getting original parts fitted to it. The first test drive will be good fun  :RHD

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)