News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

2.5 petrol engine identity

Started by DickB, Apr 18, 2024, 09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DickB

I have posted before about this. I have now decided that the engine must be a 2.5 petrol in line 4 pot from a 90. I cannot locate the engine number though. It is not next to the water pump on the exhaust manifold side. Any ideas?  The engine block is red, thus making me come to the conclusion its a 2.5 motor!

Alan Drover

Does it have a spin on oil filter? Has the water pump got a blanked outlet just above the bottom hose? I think the later 2.5 engine numbers were on the right hand side. Mine is near the exhaust manifold.
Engine numbers begin with 17H. 5mb 2.3 numbers begin with 361.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GHOBHW

check above the hand fuel primer, it might be on the flat surface there

Alan Drover

Forget the water pump. I've checked in my early 110 parts list and the 2.3 5mb fitted to early 90/110's has the same pump.
2.3 5mb engines fitted to early 90/110's  have engine numbers starting with 10H.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

If yours has the webbing/rib crankcase, or is terracotta, in one flavour or another, you've a 5MB.

grandadrob

Has it got the Weber with the fuel cut off solenoids. Best engine I had, but it was too thirsty, so I sold it....... big regret.   Mine was a 17H.

Alan Drover

My 17H using the standard 2.25 carburettor and manifolds does about 18mpg on short journeys and about 22/24 on long runs, about the same as a 2.25. In the 90/110 with the gearing and that Weber they were heavy on fuel. The Series gearing with overdrive and 7.50's is much better.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Alan Drover on Apr 21, 2024, 10:17 AM.......My 17H using the standard 2.25 carburettor and manifolds does about 18mpg on short journeys and about 22/24 on long runs, about the same as a 2.25......

I rarely run mine on petrol, when I do, those figures sound about right. I wouldn't claim much more.

Quote from: grandadrob on Apr 21, 2024, 08:27 AMtoo thirsty, so I sold it....... big regret.

Back in the day the argument would be "Go V8 young man". Similar mpg, more power. Or TDi. On the face of it, this made clear sense. Only I've had near all of them, real world, none of them truly 'work'. A V8, a Tedious, a V6, nope... seems you've got one - the 17H is the peach.

I'll forever bang this drum, for classic use they're great as they are, for a 'daily' you'd not run petrol, I don't. Either way a 17H is honey-sweet.

It's 2.25 Petrol with a tad more grunt without messing too much with its spirit. Why wouldn't it be?

GHOBHW

not to kidnap a thread, but I know near nothing about the 2.5/5MB engines..

I have an engine I was going to scrap as it doesn't turn over at all, it says its an S 11J***, HRC 2304 as the part number on the block.

is the block the same as a 5MB with just a different front end for the later timing belt stuff etc?

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Careful... HRC 2304 ( I think ) is a 5MB casting. Don't throw that in a hurry. If I'm right, it's £1500-2000 all day long. With HRC1731 (17H) definitely. Do you see webbing? Does the head have HRC1303?

GHOBHW

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Apr 21, 2024, 12:51 PMCareful... HRC 2304 ( I think ) is a 5MB casting. Don't throw that in a hurry. If I'm right, it's £1500-2000 all day long. With HRC1731 (17H) definitely.

its a diesel and I took all the good stuff off already, head, pump, injectors etc, just left the crank and pistons in as I can't get it moving to take them out, so called it a day on it. but I do have another 5MB diesel sat undercover hiding, so figured a block as a spare..

so all it'd be is the block as spare parts for me if they fit. on a website it says the 11J was just a military designation, the block being the same as a 19J, but as mentioned, none of that means much to me as I don't know enough about those ones ???

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Ah, how many did you want? Two a penny.

Never done it, I've 'heard' word it's possible to make a 17H from 2.5NA dieseasel / 2.25 Petrol 3MB beginnings. I know for fact, some have made a 2.25 petrol 5MB into a 2.8.

Alan Drover

I sussed out a nearby Land Rover "expert" who wouldn't believe that the 2.5 petrol engine has a timing chain and was adamant it had a timing belt. Eventually he consulted his computer and had to concede it had a conventional timing chain.
My Land Rover dealer mate said he was an idiot and I never went back. The idiot is still trading.
I would imagine it wouldn't be easy to convert a 2.5 diesel to a petrol engine.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Actually it's quite easy to convert a diesel engine to a petrol engine.
We once opened up a petrol Series 2A at our workshop in London only to find that it had diesel 2.25 pistons in it. Further investigation confirmed it had a diesel bottom end and somebody had bunged a petrol head on it. I reckon the flywheel and flywheel housing had also been changed.

Since then, twice I've used a diesel bottom end to rebuild into a petrol engine.

Very common in Africa with limited resources.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

What about the 2.5 diesel to petrol conversion?
"Ça plane pour moi!"