News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Riveting subject

Started by JohnR2, Apr 28, 2024, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR2

Can anyone help me with the type of rivet used on early (lower) tailgates? Also for the spare wheel disc on the bonnet?
Thanks,
John

diffwhine

Solid dome rivets?
If so - have a look on Charlie Emberton's Emberton Imperial site or his eBay shop. The last set I bought came from him along with a tool.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

2DieselMan

I got my solid rivets & Tools from www.sapphireproducts.co.uk

Details attached in photos

Dopey

If you're not worried about how genuine things are and don't want to buy all the gubbins associated with riveting, here's the solution.....

235483482437 on ebay

You just need a drill with the right size bit, and a hammer, they are actually better the genuine type

Seanlandy

Quote from: diffwhine on Apr 28, 2024, 10:45 AMSolid dome rivets?
If so - have a look on Charlie Emberton's Emberton Imperial site or his eBay shop. The last set I bought came from him along with a tool.
You have to love their website with all the Land Rover models in the background.

diffwhine

I know! Must have taken them hours to photograph that lot!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

They are very helpful and replied with all the possible links I may need and various options including with the tool, at what I think is a reasonable price.
Here's one of them for a kit.

https://embertonimperial.com/products/land-rover-solid-aluminium-rivet-kit-3-16-snap-punch-tool-for-series-1-2-2a-3?_pos=1&_sid=4adb92a6d&_ss=r

Craig T

I looked at the fitting instructions for the bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier and all it says in there is to use the enclosed rivets to hold it in place. Would they have supplied solid rivets when the kit was supplied as an after sale kit or would they use pop rivets? I can imagine a farmer buying the kit, throwing solid rivets in the nearest hedge and using pop rivets instead.

Having said that, I used solid rivets to replace the solid rivets I removed when I painted the bonnet. Maybe my one was fitted at the dealer or even at the factory?  I seem to recall hearing a story of someone nearly loosing the spare off the bonnet when the pop rivets let go on a sharp corner?

I've never lifted the spare onto my bonnet, afraid of marking the paint!

Craig.

JohnR2

you're probably right - I imagine the factory would have used solid ones and aftermarket suppliers pot rivets for ease of fitting.