Why do some Military LRs have a 'Rear-guard' panel or indicator Light?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Apr 30, 2024, 08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I've seen these a few times. Rear-guard? I've searched and the answer is not clear. Back markers in a convoy only why the light?

Someone knows for sure, seen on Milly LRs, I get the idea it's something to do with a defensive position. Anyone?

GlenAnderson

Is that the telltale for the convoy light? The one that shines on the rear diff and all the other lights are off?

Graham Smith

QuoteIs that the telltale for the convoy light? The one that shines on the rear diff and all the other lights are off?
No, not on early military land rovers.  The light for the rear diff is the same as the rear numberplate light.

GlenAnderson

I know the light on the diff is basically just a number plate one, I mean the one pictured is the dash telltale to say it's on.

Looking at it, it appears vertical similar in style to the Series 3 "Brake Warning" telltale, so I would guess that it dates from the late 70s/early 80s rather than being a Series 2 era thing.

Craig T

A few places online list it as being the warning lamp for rear fog lights on lightweights?
PRC1492 is the part number.

Craig.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Not being of a Walt-persuasion I'm still guessing - reading between the lines - lest we find ourselves un-alived a bit prompt - this panel indicates our own rearward facing convoy-light still shows. Correct?

nathanglasgow

It's got no connection with Series 2/2a military 88/109" varients.

w3526602

Hi,

Probably unrelated, but possibly similar.

It is a requirement on all (?) vehicles, that reversing lamps must either be gear-stick controlled, or have a warning lamp in the cab.

DogDave

Not seen one on my S3 military (raf 109) or the spare panel I have either. Must be fairly rare.

They'll be at least 20 land rovers at Llandudno this weekend I'm guessing so will see if I can see one on any variant as it's unusual enough to have me interested now.

O7BE16

As per Craig's earlier response this panel lamp is listed on numerous sites (PRC1492) as the rear fog light warning lamp. There is no warning light to indicate that you have selected convoy lights on a military Land Rover.

JonB

Another vote for the rear fogs.  The 6 way switch identifies which lights should be 'on' (t,s,s+t, convoy etc) but the fogs would just be a normal toggle switch and operate separately to the light switch, hence the indicator light to avoid having the fogs on when running in convoy .

Jon

DogDave

Fogs makes sense but on my S3 and the spare panel both have the fog light warning as the normal symbol like you would see on a modern car dash. Wonder why the lightweight has a different one in that case.

diffwhine

I know that Rover Group in the 1990s referred to fight light switches as "Fog Guard" switches, so there is a case for this. I've just gone through my Series 3 civilian parts catalogue and also my Lightweight Fiche and no sign of this part or part number.

Its got a PRC number for electrics which suggests a late Series 3 / early One Ten offering or possibly even Freight Rover?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Quote from: diffwhine on May 02, 2024, 12:51 PMIts got a PRC number for electrics which suggests a late Series 3 / early One Ten offering or possibly even Freight Rover?

It isn't an early One Ten or Ninety Part number. Not civilian, anyway.

diffwhine

There were some odd offerings around that era. My money is on a specific military contract, but don't really have a clue!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon