News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

What did you do with your Series 2 in May ?

Started by Wittsend, May 01, 2024, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Until you do the usual trick of letting the engine crane tip slightly by mistake therefore digging a gouge in the new floor. Or try to flip over a chassis by yourself in the garage - it always ends in tears.

Post a pic of how it is, then when you've finished with "the old girl", post a pic of the floor as it is then...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Trial-fitted new one-piece middle row door from Paintman Panels.

Drilled four holes in it to fit a replacement galvanised side trim. (Picked up ten years ago at a Show - it pays to plan ahead!)

Now setting about replacing the blown and warped door trims, using new hardboard and new clips.

diffwhine

Looks good!
Where did you get the clips from? I will need some at some point soon.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

nathanglasgow

Modifying an S3 door to take the S2 check rod. Pretty much a'cut n paste' job with a cutting disc, bit of sheet steel and tin snips.

Old Hywel

Head off recently. How long has this been on, I wonder?
1969 88"

Space-Kook

One door stripped and repair section ordered.
Now to learn how.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Peter Holden

Travelled in convoy with Dave Marin  to Jerveaulx Abbey campsite Road join in the Yorkshire area campong weekend.  An interesting road from Kettlewell to Middleham.

Peter

Peter Holden

Cam0ing at Jerveaulx Abbey with the Yorkshire lot.  We had a scenic run/green laning day today.

Peter

simonbav

Apart from my unfortunate overdrive selector shaft breakage I squared the bulkhead to my 88's rear tub, raised the n/s hinges for the door to sit in line and added a couple of extra brake pipe clips adjacent to the handbrake lever and exhaust down pipe.

I took the opportunity to repaint the n/s mirror bracket too.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Gareth

Still not happy with my steering. Already done steering box, swivels and joints. Still felt vague and heavy.

Only bit left to check - the relay! Stiff as a board! Took some bolts out and rusty water dribbled out. I screwed a grease nipple in and forced some oil in, but it would not loosen up.

So need to replace it. No time today, so will take it out next week. I reckon it must have been fitted before the front panel, because the bolts are in from the front. No way they will come out forwards, so I'll have to take the front panel mounting bolts out and wing bolts, to lift it up to get it out.

Oddjob

Please don't buy a Britpart one. The shaft isn't hardened and will bend.

TimV

Quote from: Gareth on May 25, 2024, 10:23 PMStill not happy with my steering. Already done steering box, swivels and joints. Still felt vague and heavy.

Only bit left to check - the relay! Stiff as a board! Took some bolts out and rusty water dribbled out. I screwed a grease nipple in and forced some oil in, but it would not loosen up.

So need to replace it. No time today, so will take it out next week. I reckon it must have been fitted before the front panel, because the bolts are in from the front. No way they will come out forwards, so I'll have to take the front panel mounting bolts out and wing bolts, to lift it up to get it out.
No need to remove it - yet.

Remove the top arm and the top plate. Disconnect the bottom arm from the steering rod. Then pour oil into the open top. Work away at the bottom arm, after a while it will free up, while dribbling more oil into the top. The spring cannot fly out, as it's held by the tapered bushes.

You can also remove the bottom arm, move it round on the splines to a different place, and put back on and tighten up. Carry on moving the arm.

If this doesn't free up the relay, then brace yourself to remove it.

s2c-08616

Drums needed wire brushing, so in removal, discovered new brake cylinders, shoes!
All drain holes plugged, so wirebrushed the lot and painted them. Rack rod and ends v rusty, wirebrushed and found the track rod ends just need a cleanup. No play.
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A. Safari roof, galv chassis, new painted bulkhead, rebuilt engine, brakes, diffs.

Space-Kook

Went to the Rover Social this morning.
Some poor guy with a jeep turned up, his friend invited him but didn't mention it was a land rover event.
There was an interesting stretched s2.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT