News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

OT ... Are laptop charging cables (cords) between brands?

Started by w3526602, May 14, 2024, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

Sorry to go OT, but as I mentioned well over a year ago, when I changed to W10, it became extremely difficult (for me) to send/receive Emails. My USERNAME had to contain, I think, about 10 mixed characters.

I've learned to live without.

I've just found a W8 (I think) lap-top, lurking in a drawer, that I am hoping will accommodate my pre-dawn architectural doodles ... and just possibly ... emails.

Problem! I no longer have it's power cable (cord). ???  I am reluctant to swap my single cable between my two lap-tops. High tech things are out to get me

Question ... POWER CORDS abound on EBAY at about £12 to £15. Can I assume that they are all interchangeable? And do I need to concern myself with their wattage? The price difference is negligible.

I think there is a PC WORLD in Milton Keynes, but my knees are not up to walking any more ... a four inch high kerb requires me to hang  onto something like a lamp post. Similarly, I am not able to climb into the rear seats of a  taxi, (and that might include the front passenger seat ... I haven't tried).

On Monday,  I had a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon, over the phone.

A social worker, visting Barbara,  suggested that I may be elligible for a grant for a "sooper dooper pooper scooper" (a fully automatic "wash, wipe and dry" WC, occasionally mentioned on TV's "DIY SOS" program. OK, you didn't want to know that).

diffwhine

Very much depends on the manufacturer. Some use 12 volt, some 18 volt and some Panasonic ToughBooks run on 24 Volt and I'm afraid that most of the adapters are different with different plugs as well. One area where the EU has made progress is in insisting on standardising these things, but on a Windows 8 laptop, it could be anything.

Start by looking on the back. It should have the make and model and also the required supply voltage. You are probably most likely to find one on eBay.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

Sadly ... there is no universal laptop (computer) power/charging cable  :shakinghead

If you can't get to a computer shop, you need to Google the make and model number (it will be on a label on the underside of the computer) and the Google search should throw up a suitable cable. You could also type in that info into eBay and see what turns up.

:geek

martinthefirst

Once your email account is set up on your chosen device, there should be no need to enter passwords or usernames ever again ( until you get a new PC or Laptop). Get a youngster to sort it out.

Theshed

Wouldn't bother with PC World unless you really desperate, they will charge U £££.
As Diffwhine suggests, try Ebay. The charger recently went on our old Camcorder, charger complete with camcorder cost £23 off Ebay.  :cheers-man
Look for same make and model, take your time, chances are one will pop up.
Your Email log in will be the same regardless of device.
And finally, our local BBC Radio station holds sessions to help people of all ages get the most out of 'technology'.
May be worth checking for anything similar in your neck of the woods.

w3526602

May be worth checking for anything similar in your neck of the woods.,

Hi Threshed, et al.

Thanks for your comments and advice, but you have probably forgotten who you are advising. Do you remember the little song that I'm guessing you sang at school?

"There's a hole in my bucket, Dear Henry, Dear Henry!"

OT. My doctor's surgery expects me to carry a mobile phone, so I can summon their "Man Mountain" to come and push my wheel chair up the entrance ramp.[/b]

w3526602

Hi,

While logging on this AM (its currently 05.17 hours) the opening screen advertised a power cable for an ACER ASPIRE, at about £5.

Doh! My powerless laptop is an ACER SWIFT 1, but the picture of the Jack (jack?) plug looks like it will fit, but it will probably be safer to consult "Spotty Youth Esq." at Halfords, or wherever.

In the meantime, if anyone gets a mail from "SABRE SIX", it will be from Barbara, on my behalf. For nine years, she used a Sabre as her shopping car .... basically a plastic bodied Ford 10 special with a Zodiac 2.6 litre engine. Married for nearly 60 years, and I still wake up screaming.

w3526602

Hi Martin,

Thankyou for that. If ever we meet face to face, I will moisten my tongue ... and clean your boots.

Of course, I still have to work out which cable I will require, but that should be the easy part.

I can't work out where my original cable has got to.  ??? I never unplugged the last one.