Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

109 v 88

Started by Bigdog, May 18, 2024, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Why are 109 series not as popular or desirable as the 88 series

Birdsnest55

Turning circle on the 88" is better and they fit in smaller spaces.
Not everyone has driven a 109" I prefer them as they are smoother on the road.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Gareth

I've had an 88 and got a 109. 88's are more manageable to drive so perhaps that has something to do with it? The 109 is far smoother to drive though.

Aesthetically the 88 probably looks more pleasing than a 109.

Wittsend

Horses for courses ....

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Gareth on May 18, 2024, 07:51 PMI've had an 88 and got a 109. 88's are more manageable to drive so perhaps that has something to do with it? The 109 is far smoother to drive though.

Aesthetically the 88 probably looks more pleasing than a 109.

Personally, I think the 109" is much better proportioned.

Once you got beyond a basic 88", and started adding options, the price ramped up really quickly; so I think that most new buyers would choose an 88" if they could get away with one, and only pay for the bigger vehicle if they really needed to. As a result, the 88" is/was more "popular", but not necessarily the better vehicle. I have had both, and much prefer the 109", as not only does it have a more useable load capacity, they drive so much nicer. They have always been harder to find and more expensive though, in my experience, as I think a lot more of them simply got worked to death.

It's all subjective though. YMMV.

Bigdog

It's just that my 109 that I have been doing up is almost ready for the road but I just have that feeling that no one will look upon it the same way as an 88, even though it's a 1970 series 2a Land Rover, but maybe not maybe it's just the way I am thinking

Wittsend

It's the way you are thinking ...

You're not doing it up for other people, it's for you !
You shouldn't be worrying about what other people think - life's too short.

:hinges

Bigdog

It would just be nice to have something that's classed as a classic and not just an old Land Rover running down the road, that's where I think the 109 differs from the 88

cswagon

As you've already got both why don't you get them both on the road then make your own mind up.
I've owned 3 80", 2 86" and too many 88" to remember but once I drove a 109 I wouldn't drive anything else.
Being my only transport, they're so much more useful for what I carry and in my opinion so much smoother without all the bucking up and down.
They aren't as easy to manoeuvre but that's easily off-set against the rest.
But then everyone has their own opinion and needs, and not many use it as their daily.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Gres

Once you are actually driving around there are a surprising number of people who notice, some even nod or wave. Anything other than a modern bland black blob is quite unusual.

Peter Holden

The one they should have built was the 100 inch, there was  aphoto of a S1 100" pickup prototype but I cant find it

Peter

Alan Drover

Don't worry about what others may think. It's your vehicle, your choice and if others don't like it that's their hard luck.
I don't care what others think about my Series 3, it's all mine.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Archie

To paraphrase Ringo Starr:
88s are more popular because more people like them 🤔

Simples.
Archie

w3526602

Hi,

If you want a rare SWB, seek out an 81"!

I believe they made 200 ... half with a Rover Engine, half with the Rolls Royce engine from the Champ ... for Army "suitability" trials ... interchangeability of spares, etc.

I can't remember why they decided they didn't want the Champ.  ???

602 (Who contrived to squeeze a BMC 2.2TD into a Champ ... about 50 years ago ... and found it was cheaper to run than Barbara's Hillman Imp, but only because diesel cost a lot less than petrol per gallon)

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Shall we be blunt? Many of you won't like these words because what's said is true of the bulk of owners.

You'll see far more LWB Ford Transit/ Merc Sprinters - this over the SWB variants.

In all respects except turning-circle and parking/storing -  a 109 is superior.
The 109 was never the rare one, the 109 sold in equal or larger numbers.
We should see both 88 and 109. Yet, 88s are the survivors. How so?

Sadly, "It's the tool for the job' and a 'workhorse' - with variations on the same - prevail. Precisely because that's what today's Series LR clearly isn't.

It's broadly about vanity. Today's standard owner does not have the mindset of the first owner. He's a poseur. Pondering the 'correct' wiper-blade arm for 1962 is the end-game. Evidence the very 'being' of  the weekly tyre-thread. Tyres are replaced because they're old, not because they're worn out. When you don't go anywhere. 'Tyre-thread Nigel' exposes reality.  Of course there are exceptions amongst us, some of us will have 8000+ miles this year to show, yet we are few.

No one calls today's Ford Transit/ Merc Sprinter a 'workhorse' because they don't use it; do a firewood &/or tip-run once in a blue. That'd be ridiculous, yet no one laughs when that's said on here.  Ford Transit/ Merc Sprinter owners run the LWB because they are not faking.

Yet, in 50 years time I suspect any Ford Transit/ Merc Sprinter survivors will be the rarer SWB.

Market-gardeners, our 109 has been in the family since new. If today's Series owner was the original owner, the stats would show different survival rates. In short, the reason to own a Series LR has changed - this whilst pretending it hasn't. The results favour the 88.